Websites that offer internships or graduate trainee programs?!

Closed Thread

Arrow Websites that offer internships or graduate trainee programs?!

First of all, I'd like to say hi to all of you as this is my first post and I have just joined today.

I'm sort of desperately looking for a job in East Asia. with Hong Kong being one of my top choices.

I currently reside in Vienna, Austria. I'm also from here, so hello to all German speaking folks as well!

Anyways, I recently came back from an internship in India with a business research firm. Although India had many interesting things to it, its really not a place I see myself working...EVER again... lol...

I've traveled a lot to East Asia, lived in Thailand for over 6 months during my undergraduate studies. So I'm totally a freak for Asia.

So I've been applying like crazy to many websites with job listings and jobs from various sites as well. Unfortunately the response rate is very low. I am guessing that its due to me not possessing a valid work visa.

I would be really grateful to anyone who could give me some tips/tricks to what you have done. People who applied from their homes outside of East Asia with little work experience and got hired. If any...

I've gotten many internship/management trainee offers with great companies such as Daimler and DOW Chemicals in Dubai. (Parents are currently living there, so it would be very easy for me to start there) However, I'm pushing this off until January next year. So if I can't get anything in East Asia, its off to Dubai. Sure these are great jobs and opportunities, but you know I've got this dream fixed in my head and I want to really exhaust all options before giving up to Dubai...

Really any leads, tips, websites, people already working there with vacancies...

I'm interested in Marketing/Marketing production or business research. Two fields I can see myself in.

I've used websites such as jobsdb.com, http://classifiedpost.scmp.com/ and a friend even gave me access to one of her Hong Kong Uni Job list. Unfortunately very low success....

Any answer, even bad ones () are welcome!

Regards from chilly Vienna,
    Martin

Hi Martin,

Excellent you want an internship however, in my experience very few companies/organizations actually advertise for internships in Asia. Gradually, more do but that also means the competition is stiffer.

But don't fret it just means that you need to take be even a bit more proactive than you already are being.

I would recommend that you use research business and trade organizations located here in Hong Kong / Pearl River Delta region. Learn who is doing what where and if it interests you.

Once you have identified people, companies/organizations and even projects/programs that interest you send that person / people in charge (decision makers) a letter/e-mail to the effect that you would like an internship - tell them what you can do for them, what makes you unique and stand above the rest and how working with them can only enhance your knowledge building, etc.

In your letter/e-mail you can even ask them for an informational interview via telephone for 10 to 15 minutes (at your cost) to learn from their own personal and professional growth experience.

Once you have written sent the letter/e-mail don't forget to follow-up with a telephone call and/or another letter/e-mail.

Best of Luck to you!

The best way to look for the internships is to contact the companies of your interests directly, as many companies in HK may still prefer the local talents or the overseas reternees as interns.

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten_HK:
    as many companies in HK may still prefer the local talents or the overseas reternees as interns.
    I would say it depends on a company's management style, size of the company and it's business reach.