think i am being sacked

think i am being sacked

i've been working at a company for six months and noticed today that they are advertising for my job, leading me to conclude that I am about to be sacked. what are my rights in this situation? am i entitled to severance pay (have heard it is two months...) if you are sacked do you usually leave immediately, or are you required to work a notice period - or does it vary? any advice gratefully received! thanks

Unhappy

Welcome to Hong Kong, and Communist China. You can be sacked without any notice, and as to severance pay, what does it state in your contract? That is all you are entitled too, what is in the contract. Best look for another job, or head back to your own country. I know for a fact, some workers who have gone to work their first day, and let go at noon. There is no job security in Hong Kong.

What a load of nonsense that this is because its communist china? Lets not forget the land of the free and unionized work force where it costs $25 per hour to get someone to lift anything above 5lbs on convention floor.

What is more communist? Unionized workforces which cause employers to move production overseas or an environment where you can freely hire and fire whoever you want, because well .. it might make sense to your business (shocking isnt it?).

HCH - First, the whole "show up in the morning and leave at noon" does not apply to you, as you've been there for six months and hopefully you're not in the probationary period.

More information on laws affecting your possible termination can be found here:

http://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/public/...seGuide/08.pdf

HK employee's have about the same employee rights as they do in Australia, New Zealand, the UK or any former/ pressent day Commonwealth occupied city. For the exception of annual leave entitlement, but even thats starting to wither away, since the new IR laws went in favour of the employer back in Aus. So its pretty even keel, here.

The communists had nothing to do with HK's Industrial Relations laws, they were originally formed by the British Govt, which remain in place today ...

What's this Communism twatwaffle that RedWriter likes to blame everything for ?

Seriously mate, its 2007, not the 1950's McCarthyism era.

My advice to the original poster, is to confront their boss about the advert...
    The result of that, whatever will be, will be.

It's possible maybe that the OP was going to be promoted, why do people always assume the worst? ....unless ! They are feeling guilty, as they are aware of their poor work place performance, and the looming diciplinary action is justified ?...

Who knows really...

Last edited by Skyhook; 20-10-2007 at 12:46 PM.

I agree with Skyhook that the situation may not be that worse. Your company may want to increase the workforce or whatever. Think in a positive way instead of assuming for the worst.

Here is the information about the dismissal issue from the labour dept:

http://www.labour.gov.hk/text/eng/faq/cap57k_whole.htm

thanks for the advice all. it's a bit of a tricky situation, as i tried to resign after 3 months - around the same time as my probation period was up - but was persuaded out of it.
    another 3 months on, my position has still not been confirmed, so i'm thinking that now they don't want me to stay, and that i will not be eligible to any severance pay should I be sacked as i was never confirmed as an employee.

Sorry Skyhook, I forgot Hong Kong is Not China. But the Chinese way of doing things often clash against EU rules. I been working here for over five years and never had one single problem with my employer, pays on time, and lets me take days off when I want. So maybe the bloke who posted is paranoid, and should not worry too much. Bless you all.

Redwriter : weird response

Cues up Twighlight Zone music,

Last edited by KnowItAll; 21-10-2007 at 05:06 PM.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

It is most unseemly to foist the zone on someone without its prelude