Like Tree8Likes

7 years obtain HK citizenship

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

7 years obtain HK citizenship

Hi just wanted a better understanding;
    Will living & working in HK for 7 years under a working visa allow me to apply for HK citizenship?

yes.......... or u can marry a local.

dear giant likes this.

there is no such thing as "HK citizenship".... you can gain permanent residency in hk after living here for 7 years with a valid visa (dependent, work, investment.... not sure about QMAS or study visas though).

you can only apply for CHINESE citizenship if you renounce your current citizenship and then apply for a HKSAR passport with CHINESE citizenship

residency & citizenship are two completely different things.

ClueMinus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS:
    yes.......... or u can marry a local.
    Err no.

You can apply for permanent residency after living here for 7 years, but that's very different to citizenship.

Simply marrying local won't work either, for residency or citizenship.

what marrying a local WILL get you is a dependent visa, which makes fulfilling the 7 years residency requirement much easier.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    what marrying a local WILL get you is a dependent visa, which makes fulfilling the 7 years residency requirement much easier.
    Out of interest, how does it make it easier?

That sounds sarcastic - but it's not - genuine question.

with a dependent visa, you can do anything you like: work, both part-time or full-time, study, stay at home, go to the spa.....

you don't have the same restrictions that someone on a work visa has.

the only catch? if your sponsor loses his/her job, then you could very well be out of a visa, too...

Oldtimer, dear giant and ClueMinus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    with a dependent visa, you can do anything you like: work, both part-time or full-time, study, stay at home, go to the spa.....

you don't have the same restrictions that someone on a work visa has.

the only catch? if your sponsor loses his/her job, then you could very well be out of a visa, too...
    Ok, I get you, thanks. Just wondered if made the PR application easier in someway.

Marriage, if I come across it. lol.
    With that said, are there different types of working visas?
    If so, how can I distinguish what type of working visa I'm currently holding?
    &&
    With a working visa, can I be employed by a second company or am I limited to only working for my current employer?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkang:
    Marriage, if I come across it. lol.
    With that said, are there different types of working visas?
    If so, how can I distinguish what type of working visa I'm currently holding?
    &&
    With a working visa, can I be employed by a second company or am I limited to only working for my current employer?
    If you were hired, then sponsored by a company you have the one and only "work visa". There's QMAS which also allows you to work, but you would know you had this because you would have applied for it.
    With a work visa you can only work for your sponsoring company.
    ClueMinus likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast