Like Tree28Likes

Horrible Bosses

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    He's trying to be a good boss, but the only example of how to behave he has is how he was treated when he was younger. But that was 20 years ago, when men were men and workers worked hard. Perhaps it takes some time to adjust to the youth of today, who all want work to be easy, f
    get the point you are trying to make (and disagree with most)

but that bit above - well, it's a load of crap.

if he doesn't know how to manage a company (and if all he has to go on is his own experience, then he doesn't) then he shouldn't be managing a company.

when men were men - give me a break.

I had a similar experience, but in a mid-sized international company. Boss was in a time warp. he was primarily from a sales background and had no idea how to deal with less tangible 'creative' skills, beyond threats and sarcasm. After a particularly bad argument with him, during which I could do little more than laugh at his attempts to play 'boss' and compared him to David Brent, I quit. Now working for a company with a real retention strategy and couldn't be happier.

what i liked about moving's post (whether or not i agreed with a little, some or a lot of it) was that it was a possible other side of the story.

what the OP wrote was a very one-sided post. there are always 3 sides to every story and we've only heard one side.

MovingIn07 likes this.

Excellent post Mat.

OP if you don't like it there leave. It's a free market. No one is forcing you to work there. If I were you I would leave.

i love the people saying to just leave. if only life were that easy. perhaps the OP needs some income to pay bills and survive? perhaps other job prospects are not so hot (considering what he stuck through to get this job).

Try to talk to boss to see if there is some misunderstanding or miscommunication. work through the problems together, or look for a new job. But i would say do NOT just quit without pursuing other fixes first. Giving up is a terrible trait.

dear giant and TheBrit like this.

Actually you are not necessarily "giving up" by leaving. In many ways it's the person who would stay and put up with this that has "given up".

Two choices... go and whine on an internet forum like a little pussy and get similar people validating the whining as is often done here with absolutely no constructive purpose or be a man, stand up and have a mature, polite and firm conversation about what is acceptable and not then let the chips fall where they may. Anyone that has some abilities and an ounce of self confidence isn't afraid to lose a job, it's a big world with plenty of opportunities.

wow, i was expecting to hear some horrible boss stories from you guys.

but this is good. Moving007 has a point, but you gotta give me some credit for thinking in his shoes. I try to think objectively and the truth is the next poster really hit the nail on its head. The ONLY thing I request from him is to communicate with me and HONESTLY. he tells me and the staff things, but I find that often times, its for the sake of getting us moving. Like the story about the boy who cried wolf, if you do it too many times, ppl will ignore your sense of urgency sooner or later. I lost that sense of urgency after a week's work here. He's asked me to do a dozen tasks so far and co-incidentally every task is for tomorrow or tonight cause he's seeing a client or has to tender for a bid.

And no, I'm not being a overly sensitive nipple. This dissatisfaction is mutual within the company. They are all very reasonable people who don't demand too much. They are honest and hardworking people who simply want more leadership.

And to add, the boss has asked his PA to print off my business cards yesterday cause I'll be seeing clients today. At the same time, he made no mention of me seeing clients. Me guess is its his way of getting us moving. Its a question of chicken or egg, cause or effect.

and to those who are looking to ask me to man up or shut up. First of all, this is just a rant to vent off and perharps get a second opinion. second of all, someone got it perfectly right. Would it be possible that my wife could be 7 months pregnant and us needing a mortgage, requiring 3 month's of income proof?

irregardless, I guess it takes some getting used to!

Quote Originally Posted by GTI:
    wow, i was expecting to hear some horrible boss stories from you guys.

but this is good. Moving007 has a point, but you gotta give me some credit for thinking in his shoes. I try to think objectively and the truth is the next poster really hit the nail on its head. The ONLY thing I request from him is to communicate with me and HONESTLY. he tells me and the staff things, but I find that often times, its for the sake of getting us moving. Like the story about the boy who cried wolf, if you do it too many times, ppl will ignore your sense of urgency sooner or later. I lost that sense of urgency after a week's work here. He's asked me to do a dozen tasks so far and co-incidentally every task is for tomorrow or tonight cause he's seeing a client or has to tender for a bid.

And no, I'm not being a overly sensitive nipple. This dissatisfaction is mutual within the company. They are all very reasonable people who don't demand too much. They are honest and hardworking people who simply want more leadership.

And to add, the boss has asked his PA to print off my business cards yesterday cause I'll be seeing clients today. At the same time, he made no mention of me seeing clients. Me guess is its his way of getting us moving. Its a question of chicken or egg, cause or effect.

and to those who are looking to ask me to man up or shut up. First of all, this is just a rant to vent off and perharps get a second opinion. second of all, someone got it perfectly right. Would it be possible that my wife could be 7 months pregnant and us needing a mortgage, requiring 3 month's of income proof?

irregardless, I guess it takes some getting used to!
    Thanks GTI. So can we assume then that you are not happy where you are currently working, but that you will stick with it because you need this job for now (which may be considered just as much the manly thing to do as quitting and going elsewhere)?

And is it because of this sense of being trapped and unhappy that you wanted to rant, just to let off some steam, rather than get "helpful" advice?

If that's the case, no problem. Most of us have been in your position in some shape or form in the past - and, as depressing as it sounds, some of us may still be there ...

Do you have any longer-term plans/dreams you want to discuss (might make things a bit more bearable for you, don't know), or do you just want to keep your nose to the grindstone for the time being?

Your boss does sounds a lot like mine. I've come to learn to never do anything he asks the first time around, because half the requests he forgets about. I only ever do something after he's asked 2 or 3 times. Thats what keeps me sane. I hope it solves all your problems too! It only took me a few years to realise this golden fact, you should thank me for this one. Good luck

bdw, that's hilarious. not sure if I can do that now that's i've been here for a couple of weeks.

Johndow, i guess what's important is to set my mentality straight. i'm really here for the job and pay check. Its not something I'm used to cause I really enjoy work where I can see the light in the tunnel. I like achieving things and seeing results. I do NOT like doing work after work and at the end finding out he doesn't need it or simply is using it as a means to educate himself (if yes, I could probably give him a 15 min. one-on-one talk instead of typing up and formatting a proposal). I was sold the job cause he had ambitious plans to grow it to the point of being listed on the HKSE. He knows alot of people and is able to make connections. I'm still not sure how solid they are. I will learn and see in a month's time. For those who think I am naive, my boss is over 60, and I would naturally assume ppl of this age would not need to deceive someone to take up a job.

In the mean time, I'm going to ride this out.