Do Learning centre directors hire locals due to not filling in visa paperwork?

Closed Thread

Do Learning centre directors hire locals due to not filling in visa paperwork?

Just wondering as I have a friend who used to teach in HK at a learning centre but since her visa expired she decided to go back to the UK.

Now looking at coming back to HK for at least nxt few yrs she cant get a job and feels that it may be due to the fact she needs sponsorship, as she obviously has experience and qualifications.

She is gutted that she left HK and just thought the paperwork may be offputting to employers...is she right?

Filling in the paperwork is one thing; the other thing is that they like to be able to eyeball prospective employees, check their degrees & certificates first hand, and sometimes ask them to give demonstration lessons.

But some reputable places (who have the resources to check documentation & references) and some disreputable ones (who want to have captives straight off the plane, before they hear just how dire their new employer is) are prepared to do skype interviews and proceed from there.

yep, i wouldn't hire someone for either of my centres without meeting them first. a lot of what i'm looking for is personality, sadly, that doesn't come across in CVs or cover letters.

we usually hire people who are PR or dependents. but we do have one person we've sponsored (she worked for us on her working holiday visa and we wanted to retain her afterwards) and one who works full time for someone else, and works for us part-time on his employment visa (we gained permission from the immigration dept for this arrangement).

PR or Dependant for me too. I want to meet you and see how you act in a lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    PR or Dependant for me too. I want to meet you and see how you act in a lesson.

Cheers for the answers folks. I pretty much thought the same thing, although she did think they'd take into account her previous experience in HK. ie you wouldnt keep someone employed for a few yrs if they weren't upto the job.

Anyways, she will be sending mailshots just in case. No harm in trying.