Like Tree8Likes

Visa status change possible ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Visa status change possible ?

Hi

I am a dependent here. Since April 2012, I started freelancing here. I also registered myself as a sole proprietor with inland revenue department.

Does anybody know if I am entitled/ required to notify immigration department for the same and get my visa changed from dependent to work ?

Thanks

No, you can work on a dependant visa.

Why on earth would you want to change? A dependent visa is MUCH more flexible than a work visa! You can have more than one employer etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Why on earth would you want to change? A dependent visa is MUCH more flexible than a work visa! You can have more than one employer etc etc.
    Gleaning from the OP's post, I don't think he/she realises that you can work if you are on a dependant visa......

Thanks for your replies folks

I know I can work with a dependent VISA. Its just that, if my husband loses his job in an extreme situation due to cost cutting strategies, I want to be able to stay in hong kong and continue what I am doing.

Your visa (and your husband's visa) will be valid until the expiry date irrespective of whether or not he is terminated. Your husband will not be able to work for anyone else. But YOU can - thus a much more flexible visa. IF your husband gets terminated, THEN get a work visa and sponsor him when the original visa's expire. But for freelance work, they are harder to get so better to just stick with the status quo for now.

Fiona in HKG, jy0tsna and carang like this.

You won't be granted a work visa on a sole proprietor, freelance basis.

carang and emx like this.

Why not ! I would be paying tax on my income ! What are the problems usually ?

Quote Originally Posted by jy0tsna:
    Why not? Cause that's what the HK government says.

business plan

You have to write a business plan. Also you need to hire some local residents.
    The business plan must explain how it will help HK economy.
    It is long slow process. You may or may not succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by jy0tsna:
    jy0tsna likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast