Q's for people in the IT Industry?

Closed Thread

Q's for people in the IT Industry?

Hi, I've recently moved to HK from New Zealand and am looking for a J2EE/.NET Analyst Developer position. I have a MSc. (Distinction) and a BSc. (Hons) plus 3 years working experience in lead application development roles. I've been applying for lots of jobs on jobsdb.com and careertimes.com.hk without too much luck. I normally don’t hear back at all from the company even though I’m over qualified for the position which is rather frustrating. I’ve followed up with a few of the companies after not getting a response and usually it is either because they don’t want to sponsor a foreigner to get a working visa or they require Cantonese which I don’t speak. I also haven’t had much luck with recruiters.

Anyways, I was wondering if anybody in the IT industry could help answer a few questions for me =)

1) What’s the best approach for a foreigner requiring a working VISA to get an IT job in HK?
    2) Are there any IT recruiters that help people without working visas?
    3) What should my expected salary approximately be? I was thinking $25k-$30k/month is that reasonable?
    4) Are there any good IT networking groups or software clusters?

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated! =)

Thanks.
    Josh

Check out the oriented.com functions, and the Australian Chamber of Commerce functions. I'm in a different field but had a similar experience to you and it seems networking is the best was to yield good jobs in HK. Local HR departments prefer not to hire expats..maybe it is too much work or maybe they just prefer locals but I've found as both a hirer and a hiree getting glocal hr people to give expats a break is not easy.

Thanks for your comments larac. It's nice to hear other people have had similar experiences. I definitely think you're right, networking is the way forward.

does anyone work in IT support. just wondering if you need to be bilingual as it seems to be a customer facing role?

also, do users use cantonese windows or the english version?

cheers.

For Q3, I think you can get the picture from the JobsDB website. However, I think you have to try harder if this is what you expected.

Lostkiwi

You are probably looking at the wrong time of the year - generally recruitment is slow this time of the year until people know their tech budgets.

Sit it out till Jan and look then.

Assuming that you are a pretty hands-on .Net developer and are willing to continue to be hands on, you should be able to fnd something.

Focus on recruitment companies that have financial services companies as clients and you will find that Canotonese is not an issue.

I don't know how much experience you have or in what industry but your salary expectations are reasonable.

PM me if you want more details....but I don't have a job lead for you !