Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jgl

Photographers and Cameramans job in HK.

Closed Thread

Question Photographers and Cameramans job in HK.

Does anyone else what are the chances of finding a job the professional photographer and cameraman in Hong Kong?

And if you tell me what places to start looking, I'll be very grateful.

I live in Ukraine. Do i have a chance to work in Hong-Kong?

PS - Is there someone photographers or cameraman?

Photographers are basically freelancers running their own businesses... you don't look for job openings, you network, drum up and promote your own business. You also have to sort out a visa.

Cameraman- not sure about that, but I would assume that Cantonese language ability would be a requirement.

climber07 likes this.

Agree completely with jgl. Freelance and having your own business is the only way of making any money. The competition is extremely high and you're constantly fighting against the preceived client notion that photographers should work for free (as people falsly assume their camera does all the work). You do occassionally come across full time staff photographer positions...but the salary.......last full time staff photographer job offer I saw was for HKD10,000 per month. Not sure how you can survive on that.....

Before the smartasses chime in, I do realize some jobs in HK make less than that....

Thank you for your opinions and tips!

With the advent of digital photography is now very complicated life experienced photographers. People with cameras became too much. However, the time is still put everything in its place, because the artistic vision is not to buy for the money.

I paid $5600 for a two and half hour video shoot of a stage show last week. I recruited a company I found off Google. For a Ukrainian with possibly no knowledge of the local language, it'll be hard - even if you network and promote your business to make a living off being a freelancer.

Merci MonCheri !

After time, please invite me to the shooting. I'll try to do everything better than I can, but for the price, for example - $ 3000. Even with the payment of my trip, you get less.

PS - Is knowledge of English is not enough for such work? Hong Kong was under Britain for a long time, I thought they all know English.

Quote Originally Posted by Capdeville:
    PS - Is knowledge of English is not enough for such work? Hong Kong was under Britain for a long time, I thought they all know English.
    К сожалению, так ошыбаютса многие...

Common mistaken assumption
    Last edited by climber07; 11-07-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Capdeville:
    Merci MonCheri !
    English is sufficient if you are at the high end of the market as you are more likely to be dealing with corporate clients where English will be workable, even if it's not the primary language.

If you are competing on price, you are competing for clients that will be primarily Cantonese-speaking.

There is always wedding photography. But your skills better be top notch as you cannot compete on price as the locals will kill you there. Commercial shoots - for the big projects/ad campaigns we hire from abroad. For the daily client events, presentations, etc, we hire local shooters.