Like Tree16Likes

Getting paid in Hong Kong seems rather difficult!!?? 

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Janyvo:
    Based on the above, you seem to suggest HK employers should be entitled to get a free-labour service for a X numbers of days before a new joiner deserves to be paid at merely a minimum wage in exchange for the maximum amount of labour work in the restaurant sector.

Since the new staff clearly would not know where the detergent is (yet still had to mop the floor to the satisfaction of the owner) - he therefore should not be paid??

Or

Where the owner themselves felt they have not made enough profit from their operations - staff too should bear the cost??

Or

Could it simply be because the owner just want to take advantage from the low end workers who have no ideas of their rights, and ordinarily would not raise their voice?? But then would only reluctantly pay if the matter raises aggravation?

I guess all the above must apply in your case, right?
    It could be because the employer was asking you to sign a paper and you haven't done so.

Now you're wining.

All laws aside, if you can't let go of 2 days of payment, what does that say about you?
    Last edited by Creative83; 13-07-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:

All laws aside, if you can't let go of 2 days of payment, what does that say about you?
    That's not fair. Everyone must be paid for the work they do. Not instantly, but at a reasonable time.
    dear giant, carang and Janyvo like this.

from what I've read of you so far I'm thinking you should learn how to work harder?

long hours so I had to quit?

seriously?

welcome to HK... are you sure you want to stay ? or did you think there was a yellow brick road here?

if you had worked for 3 months without being paid I'm sure the labour departmemt will be quite motivated..

maybe they will drop everything for your case?

maybe the reason the manager hasnt found the time to fill out your forms is because of so many staff problems..

actually I sympathise with both sides.. its never simple...

and trust me I have done some shitty jobs in my time.. I've cleaned toilets, picked fruit, washed pots. sold double glazing. ( yes I am evil calling your granny at 9pm )

when I first came here I also waited tables..... and yes those were long days..........................

go sign the form. and ask to be paid.

bookblogger, carang and sallecc like this.

Getting paid in Hong Kong seems rather difficult!!?? The new P. restaurant is the latest hot spot in Hong Kong for the local and visitors alike. It is always very busy, and food seems to be pretty good! I worked there for two days. But due to the extremely demanding long hours, I had to call it a quit. The stuff turnover there is huge, probably for that same reason. The owner of the restaurant is looking for new replacement pretty much every week.It has been almost a month since I was asked to work there, but still I have not been paid... I guess getting paid in Hong Kong is not as straight-forward, like the owner of the restaurant said, that I must sign some paper first in order to get paid. Anyone got any tips on how that works? Anyway, I will just have to wait to sign the necessary paper work before I can get paid…
    Did you sign a work contract?

waiting for one to be produced so i can sign. i have no problem of waiting for a month. but it is matter of principle, i worked, and worked well, so i expect to be paid (even if it is just for two shifts).

waiting for one to be produced so i can sign. i have no problem of waiting for a month. but it is matter of principle, i worked, and worked well, so i expect to be paid (even if it is just for two shifts).
    u worked without contract?

illegal i would think

Sent from my GT-I9210 using GeoClicks Mobile

there's a big gulf between what is legal and what actually happens...

Quote Originally Posted by audiot:
    there's a big gulf between what is legal and what actually happens...
    Sure but how to you get paid when you even didnt sign a contract in the first place?

a contract doesn't have to be written. it can be verbal and it's still a contract. of course, it is much more difficult to prove either side in that case.

i worked for a company for years with out a contract....

how did they pay me?

they wrote a cheque each month - or per quarter....

sometimes there was a contract.. but they were always expired when they asked me to sign,,,

i just figured this was the chinese way of doing things!