OMG i wanna cry :'(

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

thanks for all your kind input guys (and girls). well i lived @ toronto for a while before and i just wanted to get into this best school across canada but then this is the only suitable field that i wanted to go into in which i may want my future career to be in property development. one of the reasons for myself to return to HK is becuase of my family (i figured that they are getting kinda old). Honestly my difficult encounters in job hunting for the past 2 months do persuade me to go back to school and pursue further studies in land/building surveying just to maximize my chances of achieving a more of a professional career (no matter in this same field or not).

crocodile: yes friends also told me that that i just need to go into any job just to gain the experience no matter even if i sleep in the job or fool around but i am still accumulating job experience. i came back for 4 months now and the 1st 2 months i worked for my family's business (i am sitting there now as we speak) but i kinda wanna work outside and build my network for future uses and sorta walk another road at the moment.

but seems like november isn't the hottest month to look for a job and the best timing is either february and the summer months :S

Quote Originally Posted by MS@HK:
    out of curiosity what does one study in 'urban and physical geography' .....and why??
    you will need people in this field to do research analysis in planning and development so that a society will stay right and go right. thanks though.

Not really an answer but just to say wow, we are in identical situations. U of T, Urban geography, looking for work. I don't for a second think I will be getting a job in a related field though. Hell I don't even know what it is I took, how is somebody in a city that places minimal importances on arts/ anything that isn't finance going to think of it. Degrees like ours you just treat as a 'Proof that I least went to University' which opens slightly few more doors but thats it. Not to be pessimistic though, I think its very easy for you to find a job, considering your language abilities if your are not to picky and just take it slow.

Put your CV on JobsDB, efinancial careers, Monster and every job board you can find!. Consider traineeship programs, check the newspaper - theres some traineeship programs there, consider other fields also... keep trying, you will soon find one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by freshyip:
    I studied and Majored in both Physical and Urban Geography, Minored in History, and 2nd Minored in East Asian studies @ the University of Toronto St.George
    Why? Surely you had an end goal when you set out on that trail? I studied for what I'm doing now.
    A certain person in my family whines and moans that they hate their job but it was them that decided to do religious history in Uni.
    Put your man-pants on, stop sigggghhhhhhhing and take what you can get, then be picky.

Honestly my difficult encounters in job hunting for the past 2 months do persuade me to go back to school and pursue further studies in land/building surveying just to maximize my chances of achieving a more of a professional career (no matter in this same field or not).
    I have also studied geography, with one of my minors being landscape architecture. Looking back, I must say that only those of my fellow students found a job who were either very flexible in terms of location (= outside the big cities, far from home, or even abroad), or those who decided to apply for jobs outside the traditional market for "geographers". I did both, and although I loved studying geography, I don't regret doing what I am doing now.

In my opinion it is a dead end to keep on studying and add more and more qualifications. It seems for many people a way to avoid starting the real life. Most friends who failed to secure a job after graduation choose this way, and some are still busy "adding skills" 5 years later...

but seems like november isn't the hottest month to look for a job and the best timing is either february and the summer months :S
    ...there are so many theories when is the best time, and there is always an excuse why "right now " is not the best time. But in your best and you will make it. I agree in a way what previous posters said in finding anything to keep you going, but on the other hand you should not "downgrade" yourself and do jobs you are too qualified for.

You may check through you resume again or seek for some advices from your senior friends or relatives. Resume is quite a important factors for job hunt here if you dont have connections. Its possible your resume didnt make outstanding marks which attract the employer so try to do something on it.

the property makrket in hk is so so during this time as most of the player are spending their resources in mainland china.

maybe its really a good idea which you alter your desire job position abit and start with something around indirectly related to your desire job post first.

the company who inspire the most in your job field is Wanke from shenzhen, their management style and business vision are impressive....not sure whether you are interested to look for jobs with them....they appreciate people with top notch education alot. They send their top managers to ivy leagues universities and hire elites from top institutes....

Quote Originally Posted by links:
    the company who inspire the most in your job field is Wanke from shenzhen, their management style and business vision are impressive....
    Bit of a dodgy name though

Your first job will not be your dream job

Your initial post said:

' i have sent a billion resumes to varius property developers in HK but only a few of them have response with these really weird posts like requiring me to go to the middle of nowhere for a couple years'

When someone suggested a real estate job you said you want to work in an office, not run around all day.

Seems to me like you need to lower your expectations a bit. You're not going to land your ideal job as your first job unless you are exceptionally lucky. You can tell potential employers that you're a good worker and keen to learn and adapt, but your posts here seem to give a different message.

Employers are more likely to believe you have these qualities after you have demonstrated them by working successfully for a couple of years - usually in a job that is less than ideal. The longer you hang around waiting for your ideal first job, the less attractive you will be to potential employers!

Get a job first, any job, and once you have mastered it you can focus on getting a better one.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Bit of a dodgy name though

I hope i didnt spell thei rname wrongly coz i always only read their chinese name. But they are quite impressive in terms of the way they manage the company.

emphasize a lot on cosumer focus, vision in the global market and corporate responsibility... you dont see this quite often in a chinese company.