Like Tree19Likes

Finance jobs in HK that dont work 100+ hours?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    Are you telling me back office folks work 100+ hours? No way. The only lawyers that work 100+ hours work for external law firms, not in house.
    The majority of back office/IT/Risk/Finance people I work with do on average a 90 hour week. Generally start around 8.30am, work until 11pm then emails/conf calls at home plus at least one day at the weekend (often both days).

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    The majority of back office/IT/Risk/Finance people I work with do on average a 90 hour week. Generally start around 8.30am, work until 11pm then emails/conf calls at home plus at least one day at the weekend (often both days).
    The majority of ppl I work with do on an avg 100 per week.they are always supposed to be available on phone when not in office.also, when called, they should be able to login remotely from home within 20 mins. This means living in PI,sai kung, goldcoast etc is not an option for them as it takes more than 20 mins to reach central from these places.

Seriously, do you think that 90hrs/week is sustainable? Banks spend a lot to raise quality human capital and no sensible manager would like to see ppl leave/burn out by workimg crazy hours as mentioned here.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using GeoClicks Mobile
    CAP likes this.

I work in finance. Front office, fund management. Get in at 8.30 get out at 6.30 . These are avg. of course. But the latest I've gotten out is around 8.30 pm. And thats happened just twice in the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by shuki:
    The majority of ppl I work with do on an avg 100 per week.they are always supposed to be available on phone when not in office.also, when called, they should be able to login remotely from home within 20 mins. This means living in PI,sai kung, goldcoast etc is not an option for them as it takes more than 20 mins to reach central from these places.

Seriously, do you think that 90hrs/week is sustainable? Banks spend a lot to raise quality human capital and no sensible manager would like to see ppl leave/burn out by workimg crazy hours as mentioned here.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using GeoClicks Mobile

The main problem is the OP doesnt understand the concept of no pain thus no gain. He's not willing to work hard but wants the monetary rewards from a field that pays relatively better than most. In finance, one has to have an edge. Sometimes long hours are necessary to build that edge whether it be on a specific deal/investment or to develop expertise versus competitors. By asking such a question, to me he's just a wannabe -- a non hire IMO.

Original Post Deleted

DITTO on that!

I don't quite understand you? Why is it wrong if I enjoy this field but don't wont to work 90+ hours? I like finance but I don't wont to exclude my social life for it. It is why I asked if theirs any finance related jobs that don't work 90+ hours. It has nothing to do with trying to make easy money as I acknowledge the fact I would be making less.

There are lots of differences between places, job nature...

Even between Front Office jobs the variations can be huge (typically traders.. have shorter days than pure investment bankers...others - project finance guys...would be somewhere in between, RM would be on the lower end , private bankers tend not to have too long hours but lots of client meetings...)

it's really hard to tell.

Even "Back Office" has husge variation: ie Loan admin team can finish more or less on time (6.30 or so) but the Audit, Compliance, Finance or IT guys sometimes do crazy hours (for not so sexy pay)....

So take your pick.

not the best time to be job hunting in HK atm with the big firms shrinking at present

There's always work for good people. Judging by the quality of candidate here last time I was hiring, it's not hard to stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by mid_gen:
    There's always work for good people. Judging by the quality of candidate here last time I was hiring, it's not hard to stand out.
    do tell , im sure it would be useful for the OP to know what things to avoid doing!