English Teaching - Arriving late September versus early September.

English Teaching - Arriving late September versus early September.

I've already been on these forums a few times asking for advice on English Teaching in Hong Kong. I now have my visa in hand and I am in the final, final planning stages.

There are just two remaining issues:

1) Do I work a few extra weeks here, earn extra money and arrive late September, or quit my job early, have less money and arrive early September. The difference, I'm told, is that Tutorial Schools will be recruiting in early September, and that by late September, the majority of positions will be gone. Does anyone agree/disagree with this?

2) Do I get my 4-week CELTA course before I go in September, or see how I enjoy casual teaching for a few months and then get it during my visit home to the UK over Christmas/New Year. Some people have said that I can secure employment easily without the CELTA course, others have said I really need it. People have also said it's only a good idea if embarking on a career of teachings, while on the other hand, I don't want to be jobless and penniless in HK because I didn't get it!

Please help! They are two massive decisions and I am very torn on each.

Last edited by tiaw; 26-07-2012 at 03:57 AM.

Get your CELTA before you go. Not only is it good for prospective employers but its great for your confidence towards providing half-decent teaching/tutoring.

CELTA is not needed for tutorial schools. They hire all of the time. Prob mid August before term 1 starts. Sept doesnt make much sense.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You have a "visa" but not a job lined up? What kind of visa is it? A dependent one?

working holiday?

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    You have a "visa" but not a job lined up? What kind of visa is it? A dependent one?
    As Cara said, it's a Working Holiday Visa. So no, no job lined up.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Sorry tiaw, I thought you were British as you mentioned a home visit to the UK.

when you actually arrive.... post it up here. there are a few of us on here who run centres. we may be in need of someone then.