Visiting HK and corporate security

Closed Thread

Visiting HK and corporate security

Morning
    I’m presently in the US but interested in living and working in HK. I work in law enforcement, so things like corporate security and political risk analysis naturally fit (any leads are most welcome). However, one of the problems I’m encountering is marketing myself for operational risk management positions, which also takes advantage of my background and transferable skills. I’ve sent resumes to several headhunters/recruiters with little success. I have mandarin and Japanese, a master’s degree, and several years of (international but governmental) work experience, but it seems that unless you have an MBA or I-Bank experience, why bother.

I’m heading to HK next week and speaking with a few people, but always interested in meeting more people. Can anyone suggest a recruiting firm to contact, or more importantly, how to communicate/interact with recruiters? I think it's a communication skill/technique/issue that I need to learn.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If anyone is open for a pint or something, that would be great.

Thank you all for your help

When are you coming into town?

We might do a happy hour next week - would be good to catch up.

I assume you've been in touch with the usual suspects - large corporations, banks, airlines and the risk management / advisory outfits like Kroll?

K-I-A
    I arrive late on the 4th and leave on the 11th. Meeting would be wonderful. Seeing the face behind the name of the resident 'advice guru.'

I've sent CVs (in some cases several) to the usual suspects, banks, MNCs, polrisk firms, and anyone else i could think of, but have not received that many responses. I know the resumes aren't hitting the right people, which is really frustrating. I've sent follow-up messages, but i can always send more. Patience cum persistence will payoff eventually.

I'm assuming your background is american.

I'd pay a visit to the American Chambers and buy their latest directory. The contacts listed in there are worth their weight in gold as they tend to be fairly top level executives and not the HR manager.

Last edited by KnowItAll; 29-11-2007 at 11:38 AM.

yep, i'm a yankee--But without the 'ugly american/joe six-pack' persona. Feel free to give me the smackdown if i give that vibe.

Those were some of the people i contacted.

I will definitely take your advice on the AmCham directory. Excellent advice.

thanks

looking for security consultancy employment

hi,

I dont know if you'll ever pick this up but im in exactly the same position as you were last year. I would be keen to hear how you got on and possibly some ideas of who to contact. I already have a meeting with Kroll lined up but it would be good to have a couple more options.

Any help/info would be much appreciated.
    Dave