Like Tree2Likes

Part-Time Salary Expectations/Career Advice for a Polyglot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I agree with what you've heard about the biases here towards Asian English speakers vs White English speakers. My boyfriend is a Caucasian who moved here from the US with a new teaching cert but no experience, and he started getting jobs right away. Although that doesn't mean it's impossible for you to find good work!

A lot of after-school studios that I know of are started due to a desire to teach interesting things beyond the limited local curriculum (I'm not referring to super-competitive tuition centres). For jobs, you could try The Open Classroom or Smarticle, both are English-focused studios where I've seen Asian teachers.

I also have a friend who's urgently looking for multi-lingual staff, he runs a very cool retail shop in Central. If you have interest in exploring, send me a private msg.

Absolutely! The laws of supply and demand dictate that it's only a matter of time before I find a place. And actually, as of now, I'm on board with a place that looks to be pretty good. It's very flexible, there's a variety of programs to teach based on preference(I prefer teaching conversation/grammar/drama vs. test preparation), and the minimum pay is quite reasonable. What's more is that because they work predominantly with lower band schools where Chinese is more prevalent and they see fewer western faces, they see my background as an advantage and not a weakness.

I have a few friends who work at The Open Classroom, and unfortunately I wasn't able to interview for there. But, based on what I saw on their website, they're definitely of that market you described trying to focus on creative/enjoyable subjects as the base for learning rather than just regurgitating info and test taking.

While I might have a job lined up, I'm curious to know what this 'very cool retail shop' is =). Could you post the name or pm me? Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2