Like Tree1Likes

Teaching in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Timeline depends on the instution and on the urgency of their need. Where a school has been let down at the last minute by a teacher who suddenly reneges on a contract, then hiring can be very quick. In some cases a hiring decision can be made on the basis of a single telephone interview. Other schools, such as St Joseph's, for example, always insist on demonstration lessons and multiple interview stages.

I'm not sure what the typical experience is for teachers, here, but from what I have seen the process can be completed without too much rush or hurry within a month. Language centres may be quite a bit quicker than that as they don't need to run the recruitment decision by a supervisor for approval.

Of course, once the principal of a school has agreed to hire you, and the school supervisor has approved the hire, the signing of the contract does not mark the end of the process. Not sure of your particular situation, but for many NETs the next step will be to secure an employment visa. You'd also need to get a chest x-ray (free) and a sexual predator conviction check (not free). Some schools will insist on having the results of your police check before signing a contract. As you haven't got a teaching qualification, the school will also need to apply for permission to hire you as an unregistered teacher. You have to go to the HKCAAVQ and pay to have your foreign degree recognised as equivalent to a Hong Kong one before that can happen. This all takes quite a bit of time and, technically, you are not allowed to start teaching until all this is in order (not sure about the chest x-ray, though).

Getting yourself hired by a centre is likely to be quicker, in that all that really matters for them is the visa. On that point, however, do take great care to ensure that, if you do require a visa, the centre actually provides one for you. Some centres will spin you a line and keep you hanging on with vague excuses about why the visa hasn't come yet. Don't stand for it.

Last edited by M Khan; 23-08-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Thank you so much, M Khan!
    I'll keep all this in mind and see what I can find.
    I know Americans must have an FBI background check, which can take as long as 6 months. I'm assuming that's what Hong Kong will require, also.
    I know in the case of Korea I needed to secure a position before I could start the visa process. I'll have to look into that further.
    Is the HKCAAVQ something I can do from my home country, or would I need to be in Hong Kong?
    Thanks again for all your help!

Quote Originally Posted by SeizetheCarp:
    Thank you so much, M Khan!
    I'll keep all this in mind and see what I can find.
    I know Americans must have an FBI background check, which can take as long as 6 months. I'm assuming that's what Hong Kong will require, also.
    I know in the case of Korea I needed to secure a position before I could start the visa process. I'll have to look into that further.
    Is the HKCAAVQ something I can do from my home country, or would I need to be in Hong Kong?
    Thanks again for all your help!
    The police check, here, is a really new thing. Implemented only at the end of last year, they just check the Hong Kong police database to see if you have any sexual convictions in this territory. If you were going for the HK Government NET Scheme (rather than a direct hire) then you would also require an official declaration from a competent authority in the US that states you have no criminal convictions in that place (technically you need such certificate from every jurisdiction in which you have ever lived, but sometimes people just like to make life way too difficult for themselves).

The HKCAAVQ qualifications check will take a couple of weeks and they need to see your original documents. They also need to be paid in Hong Kong dollars. This can be done by proxy, however, so you don't have to turn up in person.

Also, for the sake of completeness, someone may come along and mention that unless you're on the NET Scheme you will need to pass the LPAT in order to work in a local school. This is a language aptitude test that school teachers must have, but it is not required before you start teaching. Once you start, you have a year in which to obtain it. In fact, as it involves classroom observation, it is not possible to get this prior to commencing work.

Hi Mr Khan , as I want to apply for HKCCAVQ can you please tell me what they are looking for , as my degree institution is closed already , do you think they will try to contact them , and if they contact they can’t find it now .