Would chance of getting a job higher if I physically move to hong kong?

Would chance of getting a job higher if I physically move to hong kong?

I am a software engineer with 3 yrs experience and hold a master degree. I've been looking for a job online for couple of months since I got the QMAS visa. But I haven't gotten any response from any recruiters except for auto reply emails.
    Some ppl say that I will get better chance if I physically move to hong kong. But I just don't see anything I can change by doing that except for a local address and phone number on my resume.

Is there really work opportunity for me in hong kong? What can I do to improve my chance if I physically move here?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you should get more action if you move here. Companies will be keener to interview, you can network and keep your ear to the ground better when you are physically here. Recruiters (like anyone) will recall people they have met more easily than an emailed CV when thinking who to place into new openings.

Recruiters/candidates will generally ignore candidates who are applying from overseas.

There are plenty of locally-based candidates who can be interviewed in person instead of over the phone, so why bother with phone interviews?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Yes, you should get more action if you move here. Companies will be keener to interview, you can network and keep your ear to the ground better when you are physically here. Recruiters (like anyone) will recall people they have met more easily than an emailed CV when thinking who to place into new openings.
    Thanks TheBrit. Here comes to the hard question: how to start networking when I absolutely know nobody in Hong Kong?
    When I was hunting for my first job in the US, I network with alumni and classmates. But now I surely can't get the same resource.
    So how can I make recruiters get to know me other than sending out resumes? Is there any kind of meetup for professionals?

Quote Originally Posted by afatcat:
    Thanks TheBrit. Here comes to the hard question: how to start networking when I absolutely know nobody in Hong Kong?
    When I was hunting for my first job in the US, I network with alumni and classmates. But now I surely can't get the same resource.
    So how can I make recruiters get to know me other than sending out resumes? Is there any kind of meetup for professionals?
    For a pure software engineer, it's not easy - HK really does not have a large software industry, outside of banking (even that is smaller than it was), and banks tend not to be interested in people who don't already have banking experience - the classic catch-22. For more junior work which - nothing personal - is where 3 years of experience is likely to put you, you're also competing with cheap young locals who are likely to have much lower living costs, and therefore work for lower wages, than you.

I think there are two paths worth pursuing. There is a relatively small tech community here, with an overlap with an equally small startup community - if you're up with trendy stuff like Agile Rails Gymnastics, you could look there. Otherwise, it's probably worth starting with places like Web Wednesday which is not a technical group - much more of a marketing/bizdev meeting - but there are people there who are at least paying others for technical work...

Of course, with QMAS (QMAS techie high five!), you could start your own business, if you're inclined that way!

And yeah, you have to be here - unless you really already know people here, or you're a rockstar, nobody is going to pay any attention to you otherwise.

There is a small but close network of tech startups in Hong Kong and getting into the mix is actually quite easy. There is the Web Wednesday (which is as mentioned more the marketing side of things) but also events like Startup Mondays, Hackerspace Tuesdays, Start Club, and many other events. You can get connected rather easily through the co-working spaces in Hong Kong like Boot.hk, The Cocoon, and HKCommons. There is also the DimSumLab for the more hardware oriented folks.

That said, much of the development here tends to be 'big iron' in the financial industry or smaller projects such as mobile app development and a few social media / game companies. I do think you are going up against some competition from folks who can live with their parents (or rent an apartment from their uncle for cheap) and don't need huge wages. But if you are interested, why not see if you can arrange an extended trip (i.e. 2 months or so) and come over and get a read on the market from the ground. If all else fails, fly home and try something else.

Thanks vmlinuz and penguinsix! Your information is very helpful. And you just reminded me that I can and should take an unpaid leave to explore this city. This is probably the only way I can find whether I truly love this place or not. I am going to talk with my boss today about this possibility.

And vmlinuz, so you are QMAS techie too (high five!). Do you mind sharing a little bit of your experience settling down in Hong Kong?