Good job offer, bad money

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I agree that one can survive on 35k USD per year, or ~2900 USD per month in Hong Kong. Assuming that you are single, you can have a decent life here, but not extravagant. You won't be saving much, but if you want to come here, then give it a shot, there are always chances to move up the ladder to bigger and better things, especially if you are good at what your do. Don't pay attention to what other people earn or spend, there are a lot of inflated salaries propping up inflated egos in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger:
    It sounds like Hong Kong could be right for you. How small are you willing to live? How far are you willing to travel? Do you need to be surrounded by foriegn people or would you be comfortable anywhere? If you also let me know your working location I could maybe suggest some areas for you depending on the answer to the above questions.
    Chigger,
    How about a 2-bedder, possibly fully furnished for starters (I'm looking to relocate this end April)?

Work location is the Airport; quite happy with travelling time of 35 to 40 mins. Would the New Territories be okay (given the lower rentals)?

Discovery Bay is a consideration too.

Thank you.

Regards,

CeePee

Depends on the area, the size of the place.. and if you will be willing to share..

Prices will vary a lot.. small studios 3-4 k from medium flats 8k and up..

what kills you in hong kong are the 2 month deposits in advance + 1 month rent (and if you use an agency then half month of the rent).. all this money is quite a lot... that is why is more convenient to share a place.

I'm not really sure how the forum 'ratings' work here, as comments are Anonymous and as a result no method of response (as far as I can tell)...

What annoys me is some brave chap has decided anonymously claim my post on this thread as 'misleading' which is quite frankly, bollocks.

You can enjoy a good comfortable lifestyle on the salary range in question, I do and know of several others who also do - so how can somebody arbitarialy claim that I don't?!?

Sorry to rant on an open thread, but as their seems no method of questioning the person in question directly, this will have to do. Whether he/she will pull their head out of their overpaid behinds long enough to read this is another matter.

Discovery Bay, Tung Chung and Park Island would work for you. Rent is relatively inexpensive and travelling would be within 30 mins.

You will find a 2-bedder for less than 10k in these areas.

if you work at the airport i would strongly suggest Park Island. There is a shuttle to the airport terminal directly from PI - cost $18 and takes only about 20 min! I think it's probably a better option than Tung Chung or Dbay since those 2 are so much farther from the city (altho TC is right next to airport)... i mean TC mtr to central is soooo long and expensive and DBay you don't really have easy access to MTR... from Dbay the only MTR you;ll have access to will be Tchung... which is again $$$. PI is a good middle-ground between the airport and the city. Also ferry from central to Dbay is like $23 or something (??)...a bit hefty. PI is $14.. Not sure about shuttle directly from DBay to airport - but I'd suggest seriously looking PI. Rent is cheap as well for a spacious unit.. but at PI look for blocks that are close to the bus terminal and the ferry pier... much more convenient... I wish I was working at the airport too.. but unfort I'll be working on HK island next year and will need to leave our PI apt... :-((

Quote Originally Posted by Keith:
    Discovery Bay, Tung Chung and Park Island would work for you. Rent is relatively inexpensive and travelling would be within 30 mins.

You will find a 2-bedder for less than 10k in these areas.
    a 2bdrm - what is the square foot / size of the apartment in the areas listed by Keith?

Not necessarily in the areas listed by Keith but a norm for many areas in the HKSAR is 2bdrms in 400 sqft apartments....space that is very different than what many are use to/familiar with.
    Last edited by Alby; 26-02-2008 at 01:47 AM.

Hi Alby

Typical 2 bed-room apartments in PI, TC or DB are 650-750 square feet.

This translates into a nett area of 520-600 square feet.

Expect a living room of 9x20ish ft
    a small kitchen
    a small bathroom
    small bedroom/study room of 8x6ft
    larger bedroom of 10x8ft

good luck finding your new place.