Like Tree6Likes

Ethnic minority teachers in international schools

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I'm a BBC Primary Teacher and have worked at large International Schools in Bahrain and Thailand. Have just started at Harrow School here in HK... So no problems really!

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. I really appreciate the suggestions of alternative types of schools to try. It's positive to hear that ethnic background is not a huge problem in Hong Kong. However having researched quite a few international schools, I am aware that there are quite a lot of experienced teachers that I will be competing against for positions. However I am willing to give it a go and see what happens. I think I will try some of the smaller international schools which may consider a less experienced teacher. I am also open to working in other countries as I know some are willing to take on NQTs. However these tend to be in places where ethnic background can be an issue. Snuffy, well done on your job at Harrow. I heard that it has a fantastic reputation. I was just wondering how difficult it was securing jobs in Thailand and Bahrain? As I mentioned before, I found it very difficult finding TEFL work in Thailand and I have heard that there are similar issues in some Middle Eastern countries. Also is there anyone out there who wouldn't mind sharing the names of schools where they have worked at (whether in HK or elsewhere) so that I can build up a list of schools to target/avoid? If you would prefer not to post of the public forum, please feel free to PM me. Thanks so much for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Most of them are EAs.

Also, don't think they have any asians in the Vice Principal and above range including any in the non-HR / backoffice positions in the head office.
    You thought wrong. The ESF school I work at has a HK born Chinese VP.

There is always demand for English teachers in HK, if not in Int./ESF schools, then there are also alternatives. Don't limit yourself when seeking opportunities, OP.