Like Tree22Likes

Current Salary for a NET?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

no, i WAS 100% certain that it wasn't as simple as you said. you cannot gain such permission from immigration when doing private tuition, which was one of the possibilities you listed. you also seemed to think that what you proposed was not a problem at all. when, in fact, there IS a problem. what you proposed is NOT LEGAL UNLESS YOU HAVE PERMISSION from immig, which is not always a simple thing to get.

perhaps, instead of being a pinhead about it, you should have ASKED how can i make this happen instead of assuming that what you had proposed was not a problem?

HowardCoombs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    please, when someone responds to someone's question with a "duh" and than they turn out to be somewhat misinformed themself, that deserves a little hazing....don't ya think?
    Perhaps you have different level of reading comprehension than I do, but I dont see how the duh-mutterer was misinformed.

She even went thru the trouble of digging up the law and showing it to you which clearly states you are not allowed to work for anyone else on a regular plain old work visa.
    carang likes this.

Hardly. The posts were correct. A work visa gives you certain permissions and rights. This does not include a second job. If you want a second job you need additional permissions, which are by no means certain to be given.

carang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Hardly. The posts were correct. A work visa gives you certain permissions and rights. This does not include a second job. If you want a second job you need additional permissions, which are by no means certain to be given.

the posts were correct, though short on critical information that was only provided later. that is why I asked for confirmation (to which I got a "duh"). It seems like only later (after further investigation) did yourself and cara realize that people can work another job while on a work visa, albeit with a letter of consent.

cara did go on to explain the situation nicely in post #17

cara has indeed done a nice explanation, but in #21
    I would urge you to pay attention to the second paragraph.

Any idea how easy it is to get part time work in HK as a non Cantonese speaker / Very limited Mandarin / Western person? I am thinking of spending a month or three in Hong Kong for fun between university semesters. I mean if a visa is not an issue.

Any idea how easy it is to get part time work in HK as a non Cantonese speaker / Very limited Mandarin / Western person? I am thinking of spending a month or three in Hong Kong for fun between university semesters. I mean if a visa is not an issue.
    Working as a tutor, pretty easy. Visas are an issue though. You cannot take up work with a visitor visa, which is what you're granted automatically when you visit. If you're only staying for a few months then finding work after you get here is impractical because it would take too long to find a job and then acquire the visa then exit and reenter Hong Kong to activate it. Find an offer from a tutoring center well beforehand and allow 2 months for the visa to be issued...or rejected...I'm not sure how strict they are. I already had my BA when I applied for my working visa and it took almost 2 months to be approved.

And about my original questions when I started this thread: From the replies so far, I guess they have no simple answer. What I should ask for depends on how good of a teacher I am, and how reliable of an employee. Working for a second company part time is possible if permission is acquired from immigration, but working part time as a private tutor is not allowed at all. Is all that right?

Quote Originally Posted by HKHK154:
    Best option is to see if your country has a working holiday agreement with HK otherwise I would imagine no one will look at getting you a visa. Personally I would just chill in Thailand for that time

@ Jarrod as mentioned your spare time should be spent lesson planning or at the very minimum on Geo. Don't forget when doing private lessons you will need to factor in planning time (someone paying $250 upwards will want a good lesson), travel time both ways and the note site of one-2-one lessons.

@ everyone relax it's only a forum.

Well not to take sides here but I agree with Closedcasket that Carang and Moving initial answers were way too "Clear Cut" (while the reality shows it isn't) and the "duh" from Moving was somewhat condescendant.

Nothing wrong in admitting ladies that you replied a bit too quickly on that one.

This being said, I agree with Carang that the OP should not believe it is easy to do. It's doable, not necessarly easy.

Back to the salary question....

Without a TESOL or CELTA your work may be limited to centres as even kindergartens are looking for NETs with the qualification. Kindergarten salaries will vary as the teachers are not employed centrally. maybe 17-24k.

Depending on location I would imagine a salary of $20k is not unrealistic for full-time in a centre and this can be negotiated.

Final option get the TEFL and apply for the EDB NET Scheme I think the starting salary is $22k without a PGCE/PGDE but you would probably be eligible for housing allowance too.