Native English Graduate looking for best route to Teaching job?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I'm not sure if it's just me, but my sister had found me a quick job teaching pre-school children and I was offered a full-time position when the summer position ended. Salary was satisfactory and they seemed more desperate than anything, which boggles me when I read these posts, as my experience has been quite contradictory. FYI, I am still doing an undergraduate and do not hold a degree at the moment..

I want to wish most of you a good luck. I don't know if my experience would be of help, but when I sat down for an interview, I was pretty much good to go and it seemed a lot less strict than I had originally anticipated. They sat me down, and I felt like I was already given the job right after their first sentence to me. No personal questions.. Not much at all asides from letting me know of my work schedule, etc.

Furthermore, don't know if this would be helpful.. But when I was teaching, a lot of English teachers from the same company would once in a while meet up and they had mentioned things about an agent or representative or what not. Rather than applying to a school directly, these agents would represent them, find them a position, negotiate contracts and holidays and more. I had a relative whom was actually hired directly by the school, and it seemed like all the others had much more perks than her.. In fact, she as well had stated the same and was considering finding one herself once her initial contract is up with the school.

Good luck!

A-J

Does anyone know which one is better Trinity CertTESOL or CELTYL? British council offers its course only once a year and I missed that one. The prices are more or less the same.

Quote Originally Posted by A-J:
    Does anyone know which one is better Trinity CertTESOL or CELTYL? British council offers its course only once a year and I missed that one. The prices are more or less the same.
    I would like to know this too. I'm guessing if time is a concern, then just do the TESOL. The CELTYL should be more recognised being a Cambridge certificate, but it shouldn't really matter. Both certificates are highly regarded, or so i'm told.

Could someone please elaborate further on this?

Quote Originally Posted by turnjet:
    I would like to know this too. I'm guessing if time is a concern, then just do the TESOL. The CELTYL should be more recognised being a Cambridge certificate, but it shouldn't really matter. Both certificates are highly regarded, or so i'm told.

In your situation I think the only way to get a visa in the future is to go elsewhere and get experience or finish your degree.

Everything I have ever heard or seen in 3 years living and teaching in HK has stated that to qualify for a work visa a degree and TEFL/TESOL certificate is required or a degree in Education or English or TEFL/TESOL and experience.

Am sure there are exceptions but this seems to be the general rule. Will see if I can find any hard evidence.

Cannot find any definitive immigration guidelines but -

"Hong Kong
    Requirements: College Degree and a TESOL/TEFL Certificate "

Teach English Overseas, Teaching ESL Abroad, TESL Certificate Course, TESOL Certification, Teacher Jobs

The Minimum NET scheme requirements. Am pretty sure the education bureau makes the final decision on all teaching related employment visas.

Category 4 (to be appointed at APSM rank)

(i) a bachelor’s degree in any subject from a Hong Kong University or equivalent; and

*(ii) a TEFL/TESL qualification at least at certificate level.

Category 5 (to be appointed at Certificated Master/Mistress (CM) rank)

(i) a recognised teacher’s certificate obtained after at least 2 years’ full-time study or equivalent; and

*(ii) a TEFL/TESL qualification at least at certificate level.

Quote Originally Posted by turnjet:

Both are reasonably well regarded but the CELTYL is focused on teaching young learners (hence the YL) whereas the TESOL is more geared towards teaching adults - the teaching approach is quite different. So if you plan on teaching children you would find the CELTYL much more useful and if you plan on teaching adults then either the Trinity TESOL or the Cambridge CELTA would be more relevant. I have both the CELTA and CELTYL so feel free to PM me if you want any particular info.

I think its very possible to get a weekend TEFL cert for cheap and find a job. I know many University graduates that have found jobs with just the TEFL cert.
    Experience is the key to teaching jobs over here and as soon as you've got your foot in the door you'll be able to find alot more work.
    Its just finding somewhere that will take you as a new teacher - which is possible as long as you ready to earn less for the first 3 months during a probationary period.

My friend e-mailed a load of language centres and arranged himself an interview before coming to Hong Kong. He got the job paying 11k for first 3 month then I think it may jump to 18k a month.
    He only had a TEFL from i-to-i

Quote Originally Posted by dipper:
    Both are reasonably well regarded but the CELTYL is focused on teaching young learners (hence the YL) whereas the TESOL is more geared towards teaching adults - the teaching approach is quite different. So if you plan on teaching children you would find the CELTYL much more useful and if you plan on teaching adults then either the Trinity TESOL or the Cambridge CELTA would be more relevant. I have both the CELTA and CELTYL so feel free to PM me if you want any particular info.

Do you have a degree? I am interested to see if any readers have managed to get a work visa for teaching without one.

I know of a girl that got a visa here without a degree - think she has A-levels only.
    This is her second job (2nd year also) as a teaching assistant. Money must be ok is she's affording to live here and go out and party!

Think the first job her school helped her get but her 2nd she got through Bigenglish.com

Last edited by killahbad; 05-06-2008 at 01:00 PM.

How hard is it to get into the CELTYL course? I read at the website that they only accept 10 applicants per year.