what is the best way to make the best use of my time in HK in a couple weeks (for job hunting)

Closed Thread

what is the best way to make the best use of my time in HK in a couple weeks (for job hunting)

so I have 1 week in hong kong the first week of november and will be trying my best to secure as many job opportunities as I can. Right now, I only have 2 firm meetings scheduled: A interview the HR head about a transfer, and I am also I am meeting a rep from IPS group asia.

Other than that, I got nothing. I'm in the states now and I've been just using classified post and jobs DB and applying to as much as I can (my cover letter states the dates i will be available for interview, and also when I plan to move to Hong kong). Once I arrive in Hong Kong, is it still best for me to just use these 2 sites? Are there paper ads, offices I should visit that might have a better chance?

Should I change my approach when I come to Hong Kong?

note:
    29, male, from the states, speaks cantonese, will need work visa.

headhunters are lazy, they will probably not put you forward for interviews if you don't already live in HK (unless you are executive level). focus on the transfer to get you here as a first step then network through expat groups, alumni, friends etc if you want to change roles.

Visit your chamber of commerce office if you can.
    Also visit any friends that work in HK or friends of firends
    Look up the net for the upcoming networkig events (chamber of commerce, young expat blablabla)
    etc etc

what is your skill set?

Quote Originally Posted by Dankleness:
    what is your skill set?
    My skill set has in the insurance claims industry (mostly auto insurance though). I have 7 years of total experience, with 5 of those in a management/supervisory role.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Visit your chamber of commerce office if you can.
    Also visit any friends that work in HK or friends of firends
    Look up the net for the upcoming networkig events (chamber of commerce, young expat blablabla)
    etc etc
    thanks for the tip. And just so I'm clear, I've never visited my chamber of commerce any where. What is it exactly? Is it a good place to network, to openly ask for opportunity? Just want to make sure that if I do go make a visit, I know what I am asking or looking for

if you can stay until then Nov 12 - Monthly networking drinks

http://www.amcham.org.hk/component/o...al/Itemid,487/

Drop them a mail: [email protected]