Like Tree49Likes

I'm from the UK. Want to find a job in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Guys, cut the guy some slack here. No need to go all 'geoexpat on him'. I think he got your point about how he should choose his words and grammar carefully around here. How about giving the guy some more advice rather than trying to make him look stupid and potentially loosing out on potential opportunities here at Geoexpat.

Normally on very similar threads I give good advice. On this one OP came across as rude, and the 'whatsoever' was just very tempting!

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Boy:
    the thought of a boss going on forums is akin to thinking about ones parents having a bit of nookie....
    I'll let you in on a little secret.. you boss (and your parents) are actually humans who used to be just like you! They enjoy all the same things you do ... like sex and social interactions (in person or in electronic form )

Plus this forum is actually very useful - it helped me hugely when we started the business with good advice on office rentals, fitouts, tax advise etc etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    No offence, but your level of written English doesn't demonstrate a high level of proficiency. Therefore if applying online you may not be passing that first test. I shall leave it at your use of "what so ever".

Good luck though
    here we go again

do you not have something more interesting to be doing?
    Louiseamanda likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by amersonia:
    Are you always such a pain in the neck? You make chatting online sound so formal. Where are you from anyway?
    yes, usually she is, as are the others who have chipped in

the phrase bitter expats does not begin to describe some of the posters on here.

good luck with your search. finding a language centre job in hk is easy but pay is low (better than China but factoring in costs makes it a tough sell)
    Louiseamanda and UFG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Normally on very similar threads I give good advice. On this one OP came across as rude, and the 'whatsoever' was just very tempting!
    so he was rude to stick up for himself after some bitter hack had a go at him for - heaven forbid - having less than perfect english on a chat forum? expect better from you joe.

I would like to think his qualifications and abilities will hold him in much better stead than being able to punctuate on geo expat.

(after all this, he may be a compete loser who should never be allowed near children. )

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:
    yes, usually she is, as are the others who have chipped in

the phrase bitter expats does not begin to describe some of the posters on here.

good luck with your search. finding a language centre job in hk is easy but pay is low (better than China but factoring in costs makes it a tough sell)
    Actually the ones who have chipped in are usually the most helpful. The really bitter pains have yet to find this thread. If the OP tried being more likeable they might get more help. That advice works for getting jobs generally too. Never assume anyone (even an anonymous "internet person") is too unimportant to be rude to. There are several owners of language centres/kindergartens and such like on this site who may also recruit.
    Satay Sue, elle and chingleutsch like this.

Wow, I've actually found Fiona to be one of the more sensible and helpful posters on this forum. Her first post on this thread actually made a valid point and I didn't read it as being antagonistic (bitter - really?), though from it was not what the OP wanted to hear! Instead of the nasty tone of the OP's response he/she COULD have said "thanks but...." but chose to go on a massive defensive instead.

(By the way, Moving answered while I was typing my reply.)

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Wow, I've actually found Fiona to be one of the more sensible and helpful posters on this forum. Her first post on this thread actually made a valid point and I didn't read it as being antagonistic (bitter - really?), though from it was not what the OP wanted to hear! Instead of the nasty tone of the OP's response he/she COULD have said "thanks but...." but chose to go on a massive defensive instead.
    Actually I think both OP and Fiona is right. How is that possible? OP thinks Fiona's response is uncalled for, as he (thinks) he was asking a perfectly legitimate question. Fiona thinks OP's English and attitude is unwarranted and told him so. So it all comes down to misunderstanding. And not for the first time at geoexpat

No need to for everyone to get upset. There are more things to worry about than geoexpat!
    Last edited by Watercooler; 09-11-2012 at 10:48 AM.