Like Tree49Likes

I'm from the UK. Want to find a job in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

The Gutter.... I've moved up in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    No offence, but your level of written English doesn't demonstrate a high level of proficiency. Therefore if applying online you may not be passing that first test. I shall leave it at your use of "what so ever".

Good luck though
    This was the molatov cocktail that set off the inmates. 'Yes, but' means no. "No offence, but you're fat/stupid/." How can people not take offence at these kinds of inflamatory statements?

And then the preachers came out with their didactic moralising...

Quote Originally Posted by UFG:
    I can confirm that there are indeed employers on these forums who not only hire via geoexpat, but also offers genuine help and advice to expats looking for work/experience. I myself was offered entry level experience in journalism from a user with 1 post, which eventually lead me to another internship at one of Hong Kong's top English magazines.

It was only possible by presenting myself properly and with respect to other members of this board, even though one or two of them were initially a 'pain in the neck' by questioning my right of abode, but turned out to stem from good intentions.
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    There are a bunch of links in this thread: http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/2...ml#post2186158

But I agree with Fiona, they are looking here for high quality native English speakers. You would need to demonstrate that in all kinds of communication, even those you didn't know were being monitored. I have certainly hired people (not English teachers) from this forum (and more importantly, NOT hired some based on their posts).
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Anyone with common sense should know that there are a *lot* of employers on these boards. And as Fiona pointed out, many others who can open doors.

I have personally hired 2 people directly from geoexpat. Since you are looking for a position, it would be best if you projected good skills and professionalism whilst having publicly readable discussions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    First of all, this isn't a chatroom, so people on here aren't chatting. Secondly, you came here looking for advice in finding a job teaching English in Hong Kong. For anyone here to offer assistance, and trust me many have over the years as there are quite a number of members who would be able to share experiences, offer advice and even perhaps open a door or two for you, the expectation would be for you to present yourself well in your 'trade'. Therefore, if you can't clearly demonstrate the skills needed for the type of position you are after, you can only expect some push-back.

Have a great day.

I'll let you in on a little secret.. you boss (and your parents) are actually humans who used to be just like you! They enjoy all the same things you do ... like sex and social interactions (in person or in electronic form )
    Bosses in HK are not human... and parents should not have sex after their desired number of offsprings have reached their teens...

Actually the ones who have chipped in are usually the most helpful. The really bitter pains have yet to find this thread. If the OP tried being more likeable they might get more help. That advice works for getting jobs generally too. Never assume anyone (even an anonymous "internet person") is too unimportant to be rude to. There are several owners of language centres/kindergartens and such like on this site who may also recruit.
    And one particular owner of a language centre is one the biggest trolls on these forums.... according to the bitter regulars at least

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Wow, I've actually found Fiona to be one of the more sensible and helpful posters on this forum. Her first post on this thread actually made a valid point and I didn't read it as being antagonistic (bitter - really?), though from it was not what the OP wanted to hear! Instead of the nasty tone of the OP's response he/she COULD have said "thanks but...." but chose to go on a massive defensive instead.
    No offence, your powers of reading are not very good, no one said it was a bitter comment... they said the people on here were bitter... Fiona's was a very hurtful comment

Have a great day

PS

Admittedly, the OP shouldn't have made silly typo's... but the regulars shouldn't have been so hard on him... his first post was very friendly and he didn't deserve what he got... and has anyone noticed he hasn't been back lately?

There are some very intelligent regulars here, who write well and do offer great advice... but remember people... they should use our superpowers for good and not for evil... unless they really deserve it...
    Last edited by Fly Boy; 09-11-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: adding a PS so not to be flamed by trolls
    shenwen likes this.

Flyboy, you really are a very strange person aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Flyboy, you really are a very strange person aren't you?
    Now now, let's not get personal shall we? That's a sign of immaturity and inability to argue. Stick to the topic and not the poster, shall we?
    Last edited by Watercooler; 09-11-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Now now, let's not get personal shall we? That's a sign of immaturity. Stick to the topic and not the poster, shall we?
    The poster who said my powers of reading were not very good, you mean?

Also, just noticed that Flyboy edited his post AFTER my comment

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Now now, let's not get personal shall we? That's a sign of immaturity and inability to argue. Stick to the topic and not the poster, shall we?
    You might want to read through the threads again, WC, with regard to getting personal. Or did you mean to say that shenwen is immature and can't argue a point?
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Fiona. A lvl 100 English master like yourself should know not to start new sentences with 'or'. Its petty, i know, but its only fair to point it out considering we're on a bandwagon of immaturity and you're the driver.
    Good luck with your job search Amersonia!

Jacklooo likes this.

Just to set it straight, I did not jump on the OP's first post. But after seeing several very basic errors in English in the second post, by someone wanting to have advice on coming to Hong Kong as an English teacher and having no success in getting responses online, I wanted to point out that they would likely face problems as they weren't demonstrating the primary skill of such a position.

I could have (probably should have) left out "No offence, but". I wasn't making any kind of personal comment about OP (the reference to fat, etc.), merely remarking that for someone wishing to teach a language, they were not demonstrating a proficiency in it. By the way it wasn't just spelling (typos) it was a basic use of English - I picked up only on the "what so ever" to try and point out the potential pitfalls and OP thought I was referring to his/her use of slang?

Anyway....whatever!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4