Hurrah. Another Teaching Jobs thread.(sorry)

Closed Thread

Hurrah. Another Teaching Jobs thread.(sorry)

Just after a bit of advice on teaching jobs.

I have been applying for teaching jobs for almost a year and I cannot even get people reply to my e-mails let alone give me a job. I have a BA, an MSc a Celta and good A levels. I even have 10 months teaching experience though only 5 of that was ESL. I dont have a visa which I suspect is a problem.

I have sent at least 60 job applications and only had one response. Various posters have talked about getting jobs after jumping straight of the plane with only an online TEFL and a cheery smile. I am not especially ugly and I dont have any infectious diseases so what am I doing wrong?

I have tried the NET scheme but no luck.

If anyone has any other suggestions for jobs that would be useful.

What you're missing is an inside connection. I am still an undergraduate and found myself with an interview the week after I landed for a summer day-camp position. Location was far (in Tuen Mun), so I was on the bus a total of 3 hours per day just for transportation, but all transportation was covered and the pay was quite solid.

When I left, they sat me down and offered me a full-time position, but I had to decline as I was heading back to Canada to finish up the year. With my experience with the company, I would say they are more desperate than not with finding qualified applicants. They seem to prefer western-accent english and seem to be constantly hiring.

I don't know what you're doing wrong, but you're quite qualified. What I would do is find an agent who can represent you and find yourself work. They will do what they can to find you a proper position as they would benefit from your higher salary.

Good luck mate!

Quote Originally Posted by gunsandpickups:
    I dont have a visa which I suspect is a problem.
    You hit the nail on the head there.

Hi I am sorry about your situation.I guess you only sent emails to them?You put your C/V as attachment? It is possible that your emails were received as junk mail or they just don't bother to open your attached C/V out of the fear of Virus.

How about call them direct and talk with them about your qualification and your interest in the job.Just make sure you sound confident and sincere on the phone.

Hope this helps to you.

Best of luck.

Unfortunately a lot of the jobs I apply for only provide e-mail contact details or a messaging service like asiaxpat.

In the UK I would always call after i had submitted a CV but the few times I have done this here it has not been well received.

I know the visa is a problem but people on here in a similar situation dont seem to have struggled.

Thanks for the advice though.

I would advise you to pick up the phone and start making calls. Always has a much higher success rate. You can email them if you like, but make sure you followup with a phone call.

Another issue might be that your family name is not "western". Unfortunately that makes a difference when it comes to teaching English in east asia.

You might want to consider some paper qualifications (TEFL certificate)?

Finally, perhaps there is a big gap in your CV. You said that you have been looking for one year. If the last job on your CV was in 2006, then this might turn off employers.

Good luck. If you start making phone calls or even visiting schools you will have more success.

what are your salary expectations? The NET scheme will only give you a position if you have a decent amount of teaching experience - a years teaching English in HK is enough/

I worked for a organisation called chatteris last year, www.chatteris.org.hk they employ about 30-40 graudates from UK, US, AUS, CAN, each year and place you in schools in HK.
    The salary is not great, but a lot of people then go on to the NET scheme - where the salary is a lot better.

Might be worth a shot, if you havn't already applied - if so you must have worked pretty hard to be rejected as I worked with some complete muppets last year. ( as well as with some very good people!)

or, you could give up on teaching and get a real job :P