Like Tree6Likes

English speaker looking for job: What's realistic?

Closed Thread

English speaker looking for job: What's realistic?

I've done my fair share of teaching last summer and quite enjoyed it. Thing is, I'm looking for something else when I move there this summer and was wondering what is realistic for me to apply for?

Undoubtedly, teaching English is probably the most notorious job out there and is probably most sought after, but I was wondering what other jobs might one be able to apply for that utilizes individuals with fluent English skills?

I have a good background with computers, can speak an alright amount of Cantonese (but cannot read it well), but my English is fluent and is of a western accent.

It would be great if anybody can enlighten me on what is realistic, probable, and what kinds of wages/salary I should expect for these entry level positions.

I am still doing my undergraduate and will be finishing it up by correspondence in Hong Kong. I am also applying to enter the City University of Hong Kong in hopes of getting a double-degree.. So to summarize, I am still an active student (undergraduate) and does not possess a degree yet.

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Hmmmm do you have hk i.d? If so then you might be o.k as otherwise you won't get sponsorship on anything below 20k a month, but you won't get a very well paid job with no actual experience.

Entry level I.T I'd put in the 10-12k a month bracket as you'll be competing with fresh grads with little or no experience.

Entry level I.T will be of course your helpdesk/desktop type roles.

I do actually have a Hong Kong Permanent Residence Card and am simply looking for what is realistic jobs for me to find asides from call center's.. Though that would be fine as well.

Do you know of any company's at the top of your head that is usually or occasionally hiring?

I'd concur with the $10-12K level for new graduates. There seems to be quite a lot of movement in these lower level jobs at the moment so there are all sorts of jobs around. But be realistic.

If you really fancy call centres then there's a job on the Jobs pages here, but I think it would only pay in the $9-10K range.