Graphic Designer looking to work in HK

Closed Thread

Graphic Designer looking to work in HK

Hi, Im a 23yr old Graphic Design student from Australia starting my final year of study and would like to work abroad for a year. I am interested to know what the job prospects are like in Hong Kong for me. (only speak english)

Thanks

Where did you graduate? I studied Graphic Art out of Chisholm in Dandenong (Melbourne). I'm just freelancing alongside other activities in Hong Kong. Maybe you should study a TESL course to provide you with backup for when design work is hard to find.

Graphic design in Hong Kong

I work in a related business (advertising) and from what I can see there is limited opportunity in Graphic Design - especially if you can't read/write Mandarin or Cantonese (for typesetting).

It also doesn't pay as well as other creative jobs in Hong Kong (like interactive).

That said, I think the boom in China will necessitate more design work to be done - but I suspect you would need to brush up your reading/writing of Chinese

Search for design jobs on monster.com.hk and see what comes up.

Thanks for the valuable information guys
    much appreciated

too true

Quote Originally Posted by kiffguy:
    That said, I think the boom in China will necessitate more design work to be done - but I suspect you would need to brush up your reading/writing of Chinese
    It is all true. My wife helps me with Chinese typesetting - I have a few projects and am becoming quite the typographer with Chinese (still need my wife and other friends to proof the text of course). What you said about mainland, too true - more out there, I find it easier to find clients in Shenzhen then Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by dean-dzai:
    It is all true. My wife helps me with Chinese typesetting - I have a few projects and am becoming quite the typographer with Chinese ...
    Hong Kong is dead. The only way you can land a job here is if you meet ALL of the following:

1.) Neither skill, education or experience don't matter.
    2.) you speak/write/read at least half decent Chinese
    3.) you are part of their social circle, i.e. yiu are the bosses son-in-law.
    4.) The Chinese are afraid to loose face, so you may not get hired simply because the boss is afraid that you make him look inferior.

I AM NOT KIDDING !!!!!!!

Seriously, I am not kidding. Average salary for a graphic/web designer is about HK$16,000 per month.

I won't work for anyone for that kind of money, and rather be designing for my own enjoyment.
    Last edited by style; 17-02-2008 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dean-dzai:
    ... I find it easier to find clients in Shenzhen then Hong Kong.
    In general, HK clients are stingier than mainland clients.

In Hong Kong, there are many high school dropouts who are willing to do designs for next to nothing.

And to the Chinese, the most important thing is price! They are SUCKERS FOR A BARGAIN !
    Last edited by style; 17-02-2008 at 03:27 PM.