Like Tree11Likes

Teaching English - Best schools to start

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Teaching English - Best schools to start

I'm planning on moving to HK within the next few months to teach English. As of now I am a recent university graduate in the process of getting a TEFL certification. My plan is to teach English full-time in a primary or secondary school and tutor on the side. However, I am getting mixed reviews from research and talking to English teachers on where to go. Some people recommend the government schools over the private & ESF schools because they're more likely to provide housing assistance in addition to a work visa. Others say the government schools are extremely rigorous and inflexible, and it's best to work in a private school where the schedule is a bit less demanding. Overall, which schools are best to apply to for housing accommodation and other benefits?

ummm.... you need to do a lot more research. what is your degree in? if it's an education degree, you could apply for the NET scheme. if not, you could still apply, but without experience you are unlikely to get a job.

if you get on with the gov't NET scheme, you will get a housing allowance.

if you go for a private tutorial centre, you will not get anything beyond your salary. but you don't have any experience, so it is likely this is the only type of place that would hire you.

not only that, but without experience, it could be difficult for immigration to grant a work visa.

Cara has it nailed.

For a realistic chance at a "real" school job (as opposed to teaching at a language centre), you want a BEd / PGCE and QTS as well as at least 2 years classroom experience. There have been people who've got a placement missing one of those, but they are few and far between.
    Reputable language centres have best choice of qualified and experienced candidates in that sector (please correct me if I'm wrong, those of you who have your own centres!); it tends to be the dodgier places that get the FOP (fresh off the plane) new graduates. Of course, if you can cope with the pay and conditions there, it gives you the chance to find your way around, meet other people in the industry, and generally figure out what you really want to be doing.

For ESF/ international school posts you basically have no chance - try again with all your qualifications up to scratch (TEFL cert's are pretty well irrelevant in those places) and at least 10 years classroom experience in a country that uses the same syllabus as the school you're applying for.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I think it's better for you to understand the reality sooner than later.

Last edited by chingleutsch; 06-01-2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: typos...
    bryant.english and carang like this.

I have to agree that your chances are very slim to get a job in a good international school or ESF as a new graduate and even closer to none if you don't have a proper education degree.

However it is not accurate that you need 10 years of classroom experience. ESF schools for example have been mandated to reduce their experience to a factor nine. That means that many younger teachers have been hired in recent years to replace the old ones. A school like Delia hires many young teachers to save money. Any good administrators knows that it is important to have a balanced staff and it's important to have fresh young blood in moderation. ESF had and still has to some extent a budgetary problem because of having too many teachers with too much experience.

I'd say five years experience would put a teacher in excellent position particularly if they have IB and international experience. Much better to have less of the right kind of experience than more that is less relevant. Better bang for your money and IB teachers are expensive to train.

Last edited by gilleshk; 06-01-2013 at 08:09 PM.
    bryant.english likes this.

Thanks for the update on the ESF situation, GHK (cue all the old fogeys muttering how much standards have fallen since the Olden Days but that change should bring in some new blood as well as reduce their salaries bill).

Just checking that you understand that "tutoring on the side" is illegal if you hold an employment visa?

carang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Just checking that you understand that "tutoring on the side" is illegal if you hold an employment visa?
    So is borrowing your neighbours foreign domestic helper part time to clean your home for payment.

Its never stopped you from hiring them, why be so tenacious when another ethnic group does it, while turning a blind eye when SEA women do so, knowingly breaking the terms of their restricted work visa ?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile
    shri, TheBrit and elle like this.

I'm not suggesting that the OP shouldn't do it, or that it is not common to do so. I simply suggest that if you do something illegal it's best to do it knowingly.

So knowingly breaking the law is better than unknowingly huh?

I think so, yes. I know that I break several laws on a regular basis. I'm OK with that for various reasons.

You would prefer to break the law unknowingly? I don't think I'd be so happy with the surprises that might follow...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast