salary and working hours in investment banking field ?

Closed Thread

salary and working hours in investment banking field ?

hi all,

i have ca 10 years of experience working in the operations department in the investment banking field (equity lending, repo settlement, funding, reconciliation etc) on a non-supervisory level.
    I am considering moving to hk but i am uncertain what to expect. Could someone tell me what salary i could expect ? Also, i have heard some people work up to 14- 15 hours a day and 6-7 days a week ? Is this true? I do realize there is no definitive answer to these questions but nevertheless any (general) info or indication as to what i could expext would be greatly appreciated by me
    thx

Plenty of working hours

Hello there,

I accidenlty saw your post. I thought I can answer your question. One of my buddy's currently working for Barclays in Hong Kong, being recruited as a risk analyst in the beginning, regarding working hours you're probably right, what he told me was it's not uncommon for him to get off work at 11 or 12 pm at night, for almost 3 or 4 days during the week [company covers taxi costs], but considering HK to be a sleepless metropolitan city, that's no big deal. He doesn't have to work on saturdays but he did mention he had to use up weekend times at times for researching and reading just to keep up with demands at work.

After 3 years, he has now been promoted to the assistant manager position and he mentioned work is "very busy and demanding".

I don't know anything regarding salary, haven't asked him that but it must be *good* working in this field in Hong Kong. hope that helped

From,
    That Super Asian Dude

Last edited by rizel6555; 28-12-2009 at 11:58 PM.