ABC to work as Occupational Therapist in HK?

Closed Thread

ABC to work as Occupational Therapist in HK?

Hi all,
    I'm new here, so I apologise if something similar has been posted already.
    I'm from Australia, 19, currently in my 3rd year (Honours) of Occupational Therapy. When I'm a little more mature, I'm considering moving to HK or working there for a few years/indefinitely. I can speak fluent English and almost close to fluent Cantonese. My only problem is that as a child my parents never made me go to chinese school so I can't read or write Chinese.
    Would that mean I'd have almost zip chance of getting an OT job in hk without chinese written literacy?

Not sure if any of you would know, but some other questions, do you know how recognised the OT profession is in HK and how good the pay is?
    In Australia, starting out as a graduate I would most likely start out anywhere ranging between 50-70k + a year (Aus. dollar).

Oh and also, I would probably have some working visa issues seeing as i'm an ABC. My father however, has a dual citizenship in both Australia and HK so I'm not sure if there's a loophole there that might give me a bit of lead way.
    I visit HK regularly for holidays and I enjoy the atmosphere and the people there.
    Any of your help is muchly appreciated!! ^.^
    Thank-you.

Last edited by FeversEnd; 13-01-2013 at 12:05 AM.

You should have no problem getting a job with the hongkong hospital authority go to their web site and you will see a list of vacancies coming up regularly :the occ health reports are in English at least so the lack of written Chinese … may not be such an issue for you .you will need complete fluency in Cantonese though :the question though is your registration with the board :how that works for the allied checkup field I have no idea :if it was me I would just go ahead and apply for the vacancies as they come up online (department of health is another employer here may have vacancies but you will not qualify for any civil service grade post

Sent from my ST27i using GeoClicks Mobile