Like Tree32Likes

Help! Trying to find a job in HK but no money

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Help! Trying to find a job in HK but no money

Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum, but please give me some advice. I would appreciate it greatly. This might sound simple but it is really driving me crazy!!!

I live in the UK and I have a part-time job right now that is going nowhere. I am keeping the job because almost every job vacancy I have seen for HK requires 1-3 years of experience. However, should I go back and look for jobs when I go back, or should I look for jobs in the UK then if I get an interview, fly back to HK?

Then here comes my other problem: my gran has a house in the New Territories and the closest train station is Sheung Sui/Fan Ling. I am going to HK again this month and the last time I went, I managed to get a job interview at the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Wan Chai. I remember I had to take a small bus to get the train, then get off at Kowloon, then take about 3 underground trains just to get there. The interviewer was also very snidey with me. She told me I was unconfident because I kept looking away from her. Hmm, I don't think I was, it's because when I am in an interview, I don't always maintain eye contact with the person like ALL THE TIME.

Okay, so that experience aside, I consider the location I'm staying in extremely remote. I usually leave at 7am and have to be back by 6.30pm because of bus schedules and generally, getting into HK central from NT is very stressful.

I really have no clue what to do and if I do find a job, is it best if I try and find a place to rent? Although we have money troubles, my sister has also encouraged me that I could try and find a workplace that is very international and will provide accommodation?

What do you guys think?

Do companies in HK provide accommodation? Do you mean a housing allowance? That would really depend on the level of job you were going for. As you have family here I would imagine you are applying as a local in which case this is very unlikely. Do you have the right to live and work here?

Instead of arguing against the interviewer they have bothered to give you feedback, take it on board. Try doing some role play interviews with other people and see what they say. You could even video it.

Judging solely by what you wrote above....Hong Kong will eat you alive. Sorry, but you sound very soft and aloof.

I don't know if they provide accommodation/housing allowance. Yes, I do have the right to live and work in HK. I didn't argue with the interviewer either. It was just something she told me nearer the end of the interview.

how old are you? what experience do you have? what schooling/education do you have? what languages do you speak? do you have the legal right to live and work in hk? is there a reason that you have to work in central if you live in the NT? what type of job are you hoping to get? how much $ do you think you will need to survive? why do you think you want to work in hk? why don't you want to live in the uk anymore? ie) what are your reasons for moving?

it is extremely unlikely you will find a job that will provide housing. that is reserved for only the top echelon of employees, which it doesn't sound like you are.

That's okay. To be honest, the last time I did go to HK, I didn't take anything personal when I was there but I thought the people there were quite rude (

dear giant likes this.

Aren't your family part of the "people" here?

I didn't really mean that you argued with her, but you took exception to what she said. Instead of that try and learn from it. I agree with the other poster, it does not sound like you are ready to survive in HK.

I'm 22, with university degree in hospitality from UK. I can speak english and cantonese. I have the legal right to live and work in HK. I have looked at job sites and all jobs seem to be in Central/TST/Wan Chai area. I'm hoping to get an admin job.

you will be very lucky to get a salary of $10k here, no benefits except, maybe a 13th month bonus.... bare minimum for annual leave (7 days) that you are eligible for once you have worked for a year. you need to compare that to what you could earn in the uk. also, you will need to figure out what it will cost you to commute, not just time, but $...

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Aren't your family part of the "people" here?

I didn't really mean that you argued with her, but you took exception to what she said. Instead of that try and learn from it. I agree with the other poster, it does not sound like you are ready to survive in HK.
    I did; honestly I'm not really sure. I have a friend who works in HK and she is exactly like me. If you don't think I am ready, do you have any advice about what I could do?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast