Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By carang

Transferring a WHV into a One Year Visa

Closed Thread

Transferring a WHV into a One Year Visa

I'm on a one year working holiday visa. As many of you know, that limits me to three months with each employer. I've completed 3 months with my first employer, and am now a month into working for a different one. The first one wants me back, and they also want to sponsor me for a one year work visa, in order to remove the 3 month restriction, but they told me that I have to start this process and they'll fill in what is required when I've done my bits. Only problem is, I'm not sure how.

Can someone please provide me with information or tips. Also, do I have to wait for the WHV to expire before I can apply?

Last edited by a-walls886; 07-02-2013 at 01:42 AM.

I suspect the answer is simple - you and your (potential) employer would have to apply as normal, with your existing WHV having no effect on the process. Your sponsor would have to show that a) they have tried and failed to hire someone local for the position and b) you bring something unique which is not available locally. If they don't have experience hiring foreigners and sponsoring visas, there will be some work ahead for them, and if Immigration don't know them as an existing visa sponsor, it will likely take a few weeks to be processed...

Wait for Carang to come along. She is an employer who has experience of going from WHV to WV.

yep.. we had an aussie that we wanted to sponsor. it was basically the same type of application as a regular work visa, but we also had to write a letter explaining why we didn't want to go about the proper procedure and why they should make an exception in her case. an exception because technically, you are not supposed to apply for a work visa after a working holiday visa.

we didn't submit the application at the regular counter, either, if memory serves.

it took less than a month to have it approved, but we supplied everything we could think of so that there would be no delays.

Oh, so does that mean the process is even harder when on a WHV? Can you offer any tips regarding how you were able to persuade immigration that this person was indispensable?

well, she was working for me at an english language playgroup centre. i wrote about her training, how the parents/students loved her, how her previous experience made her an ideal candidate. i wrote about how "picky" the parents can be and about how much business i lose every time the teacher changes. i also had a stack of about 50 applications from others (because i posted this job in a few places) who were in no way suitable for the position. i included a copy of the postings that i made, so that the immigration could see the requirements and how the one i wanted was perfect compared to the others. i actually wrote on the top of the applications why i didn't consider them suitable.

Flat Hunter likes this.