Hong Kong NET Teaching scheme.

Closed Thread

Hong Kong NET Teaching scheme.

Hello

I am a qualified English teacher from the UK with a PGCE, plus one year teaching experience in the UK, and a bit of ESL teaching experience in Cambodia. I am in the UK at the moment and have applied to the NET scheme in HK. I have an interview in London at the end of the month. Two questions I wanted to ask about the scheme-

1. Is it really competitive? My PGCE is in English but I do not have a TEFL.

2. If selected, and I go through to be interviewed by schools can I 'pick' which school I work for? I have read certain reviews which basically say its pot luck when it comes to schools, and that some are awful to work in whilst others are really good.

Thanks for your help!

1. Hi. I believe a TEFL is part of the minimum requirements. Having a PGCE and experience in the UK means that, if you get your TEFL, you will be high on their list.

2. You can either wait to be placed or actively search for a school which is hiring a NET.

JustJoe is right. A TEFL qualification is a must now. You used to be able to get on the scheme and then get your TEFL later.