Job advice - Accounting/Finance

Closed Thread

Job advice - Accounting/Finance

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone would be able to advise me on the current job market in the accounting/finance field.

I'm a 25 year old BBC and I recently moved to HK at the start of January. I have a 2:1 in Accounting & Finance and I am also an ACCA affiliate with 2 years experience of working in the finance department of MNC's - my most recent role was as a Finance Analyst. A working Visa is not necessary as I have a HK ID card and I am able to speak Cantonese at a conversational level, but unable to read/write...

In the recent month I've met numerous recruiters who seem optimistic that I will be able to secure employment soon, but I am not so sure. Since being here I've applied to numerous roles and I have not heard anything back - not even a letter stating I was unsuccessful...

Can anyone enlighten me on whether this is due to the CNY period or down to the fact that I am unable to read/write Chinese that is hindering my job prospects?

Many thanks!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You said you've applied for many jobs. How did the interviews go? What kind of feedback are you getting from the interviewers?

And, yes CNY, in part. People hang on for their 13th month then start looking after CNY.

Hi Claire, thanks for your reply.

That's the thing, I haven't had any response from any of the companies I've applied for even though my skills match the criteria on their job spec. In fact the only offer I've had so far was a retail job in A&F!

Good to hear that in part it's due to CNY - will persevere and keep applying!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

If you're not called in for an interview, you won't hear a thing from them.

A&F? Does that mean you're a looker?

ACCA = accountant / auditor (external / internal ) so i'm assuming companies like big 4, kpmg, pwc etc.

If you can't read/write chinese, you're at a bad position (for auditing work), because the majority of todays clients are mainland firms. mandarin is quite required for site work.

how far are you in ACCA? it's strange that you're not at least getting an interview, assuming you've passed several papers in it. Have you applied directly to them?

fyi as an external auditor, you can expect 9am - 10pm/2am work hours with no OT most of the time, 14kish if you do indeed have 2 years of experience (big 4ish salary). check discuss.com.hk for accountant section for salary discussions (read: you work until you die)

Last edited by UFG; 08-02-2013 at 07:58 PM.

Does your CV and cover letter need working on? Maybe that's your stumbling block and you're not getting through to an interview.

Suggest that you use these few days to go over them, then start banging them out again on the 13th.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    If you're not called in for an interview, you won't hear a thing from them.

A&F? Does that mean you're a looker?
    Claire didn't know you were a cougar

As the others have mentioned. It's quiet until after CNY and market picks up in march.

Use agencies and network your backside off. You can't rely/depend on jobs db etc.