Throwing it out there

Closed Thread

Throwing it out there

Hi everyone,

I've posted before about my desire to work in the non-profit/charities field in HK, but found it hard to do so. I've researched a lot of organizations and have applied for jobs even outside of the sector. But seriously, it is hard to break into HK!! So I thought i'd throw myself out there, just in case anyone searching geoexpat had a need for an employee like myself, had suggestions, or wanted to do a random act of kindness and hook a fellow expat up.

My background goes........

I have a BA in social work and a master's degree in public health. I have previously worked with the Thai Red Cross and I consulted with UNICEF for sometime in the communications division working on AIDS campaigns and communications. In addition to this work I have worked heavily with youth empowerment, and communications. I am interested in continuing to work on issues related to health and communications but realized I may need to loosen my belt on this. A visa may not be a big problem as my boyfriend (who is a US citizen but is working with a HK ID in HK), and I plan to wed, I am not sure if I can work under his visa, and how long that would take to go into effect. I was living in HK for the past 1 1/2 years but left this Decemeber when I could not find work. I was offered a teaching position however I turned it down, my fault, but at that point I had hopes for another line of work.

Anyway if u have any further interest send me a message.

thanks

jr

jrose,

Have seen several of your postings regarding working in a NPO/NGO area - I commend your persistence and encourage you to remain positive.

Unfortunately, from my knowledge you are not able to obtain any status under you bf's HK work visa until you are married. Once married you are able to get a dependent visa then work. Others on Geoexpat will be better able to help you on this topic.

However, the NPO/NGO/Civil Society Sector in Hong Kong has been steadily growing since SARS in 2002/2003. There are several organizations that are hiring but also it is a matter of networking and meeting people.

If you haven't already tried I suggest investing your time and in some cases minimal money to network, identify and meet the "players" as well as the further gain an understanding of the "existing and upcoming projects/programs" being done by local, regional and international organizations. Think about where you can be a good fit/contributor.

There are several worthwhile events hosted by:

• the HK Social Welfare Department (in both languages)
    • Several Chamber of Commerce's have committee's and host speakers of various topics relevant to the sector
    • CSR Asia hosts once per month CSR Wednesday at various locations throughout HK check out websites.

This type of interaction can lead to something but can also be time consuming as you should always follow up with the people you meet. People in the sector also want to know that you grasp and understand the context somewhat as funds tend to be tight and there is minimal space/time for a learning curve.
    Last edited by Alby; 14-03-2008 at 11:26 PM.

Thanks Alby,

Seems like you are familiar with what is going on this sector of HK society, and you gave me great advice. I am really presistant because A: this work is my passion and I want to continue it in HK, and B: it's the way I've learned (not to give up)

Anyway, I do try and keep up with what is going on there interms of program and priority areas, but you are right...there is nothing like going to events and showing it! I also understand that there is little room for a learning curve especially when funds are tight. Thankfully I feel I'm equipped to start working I just need the opportunity. But I understand the hesitation for organizations to place that trust in an applicant.

Thank you also for the heads up on working visa situation!!

Hope to remain in touch