Working Visa for Senior Brand Manager (AUS)

Closed Thread

Working Visa for Senior Brand Manager (AUS)

Hi all,

My partner has been working in Hong Kong since November on a secondment from Australia. I have been living here with him for the last month as we are on our way to live and work in London.

However, he has now been offered a full time role here and before accepting, we would like to understand the possibilities of obtaining a working visa for myself. I have a bachelor degree in Commerce and before leaving Australia in January, held a Senior Brand Manager role at a large brand driven FMCG company where I was employed for the last 4.5 years. I do not speak Chinese

What is the best route I can take in an attempt to obtain a Hong Kong working Visa? Should I approach some recruitment companies in order to secure sponsorship from an employer? Any success with the Skilled Migrant Visa?

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

If you're under 30 then a Working Holiday Visa would be easy to get and let you do short-term roles to let you get going and do the networking you would need to find something more permanent. If you haven't got some specific skill or experience that a local is unlikely to have then it could take a while to find something for which an employer would be able to make a case to Immigration for you.

The only "Skilled Migrant Visa" is the "Quality Migrant Admission Scheme", which is aimed at Nobel Prize / Oscar / Olympic winning type people rather than "Senior Brand Managers" or Telephone Sanitisers, so forget about that.

The other simple way, assuming you are female, is to marry your boyfriend - very easy to do here and gives you a dependant visa which allows you to work without further paperwork.

A pretty thorough overview from PDLM, the only thing to add is that if you want to do something different whilst you're in Hong Kong you could take a TEFL teaching qualification and get a job in English teaching where you lack of Chinese will not be a problem. Depends whether you think you would enjoy teaching though.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppa:
    Hi all,

My partner has been working in Hong Kong since November on a secondment from Australia. I have been living here with him for the last month as we are on our way to live and work in London.

However, he has now been offered a full time role here and before accepting, we would like to understand the possibilities of obtaining a working visa for myself. I have a bachelor degree in Commerce and before leaving Australia in January, held a Senior Brand Manager role at a large brand driven FMCG company where I was employed for the last 4.5 years. I do not speak Chinese

What is the best route I can take in an attempt to obtain a Hong Kong working Visa? Should I approach some recruitment companies in order to secure sponsorship from an employer? Any success with the Skilled Migrant Visa?

Any advice would be much appreciated!!
    Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

Since this thread has been reawakened, I should update my comment on the QMAS scheme - it has become much broader than I described it back in 2008. Many people wth a degree and some work experience would qualify in principle. But the processing time is several months, and the bureaucracy can be a bit of a pain.