Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By drumbrake
  • 1 Post By surejaney
  • 1 Post By Rob2020

Commuting, Underground, Neanderthals

Closed Thread

Thumbs up Commuting, Underground, Neanderthals

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013...ohn-lanchester

Spend a few minutes, especially on a Sunday, to read this great article.
    I think there is something in it for everyone

enjoy

For the article:

According to one academic paper, "people with longer commuting time report systematically lower subjective wellbeing". In other words, a difficult commute makes people miserable in ways for which money doesn't make amends.
    I totally agree with this.
    Rob2020 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    For the article:

I totally agree with this.
    For sure, that is one of the most important things to note when picking a place to live imho

HK, pushing and shoving should become a national sport!

EricBow likes this.

Makes me a little homesick for the District line.

I was back in London a few weeks ago and on the District line going through the City on a Mon morning. I was the only person smiling as I was really happy to be back in London (especially with the snow that was falling that morning). What really stood out on the train compared to my usual MTR commute in HK was the absolute quiet and not one single person fiddling with a mobile phone. The quiet and the time it gives you to think really resonates with The Guardian article.

Some people on here must have very very long commute then....

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Some people on here must have very very long commute then....
    Just under an hr door to door.
    15 stops on the MTR.

Don't forget the word difficult in that quote. I now have a shorter commute than before but its more difficult in that I have to change from bus to mtr whereas before it was a nice Uncrowded and quiet bus the whole way. a longer analysis of the various factors that make a commute difficult would be fascinating.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks Mobile

Indeed, complexity of commute is a big factor.
    When I worked in Kwun Tong, it could take between 45 and 90 minutes to get to work by bus (cross harbour tunnel randomness).
    By MTR, the time would be a predictable ~45 minutes or so, plus the time to get to the MTR (in my case, a tram)

I chose the bus 99% of the time, even though it often took longer, due to the simplicity of the journey. This was in the days before smart phones, luckily I had a nice laptop on which I could entertain myself.. sadly, it was also before I discovered podcasts.

MovingIn07 likes this.