job market shrinking?

Closed Thread

job market shrinking?

been looking for a job for a few months now. fresh grad, can't read/write chinese. not too sure what industry i want to do but i've been applying to general jobs to gain experience.

before chinese new year and after, i was getting a steady flow of interviews. but these past couple weeks, i've gotten no more interviews and notice less job openings. is this cycle in hk?

the way i look for a job has been online only. are there other ways? it's been months and i'm losing patience and confidence quickly.

The problem is that you don't know what you want to do thus are applying for every and any role, HR people will not understand why you're going for something totally different to your last role and might not see what transferable skills you have if any.

The market is still buoyant definately more so than before chinese new year.

Yup you're looking at things the wrong way, Online is not the way to go, You won't hit the right people just by going on jobsdb and monster etc, You need to use agencies and network yourself, But of course they can't help you if you don't know what you want to do.

Stick to what you're good at and use that as a stepping stone onto bigger and better things.

yea i know it's tough and the main reason is not knowing what i want. but i was hoping to beat around the bush and get lucky somehow. not the best strategy but i cant think of anything else right now.

Not knowing what you want though is not going to help you nor any agents get anything.

What did you graduate in? And what happened to those interviews you had?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    The problem is that you don't know what you want to do thus are applying for every and any role, HR people will not understand why you're going for something totally different to your last role and might not see what transferable skills you have if any.

The market is still buoyant definately more so than before chinese new year.

Yup you're looking at things the wrong way, Online is not the way to go, You won't hit the right people just by going on jobsdb and monster etc, You need to use agencies and network yourself, But of course they can't help you if you don't know what you want to do.

Stick to what you're good at and use that as a stepping stone onto bigger and better things.
    Agreed with Jimbo.
    In fact, certain industries here are shrinking. You have to know what you are good at and which business you want to do. Set a target, and go for it.
    Good Luck !

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Not knowing what you want though is not going to help you nor any agents get anything.

What did you graduate in? And what happened to those interviews you had?

I graduated with a general business major. I thought did pretty well in some interviews, not so well in others. I think the main thing is I don't have work experience. I apply for jobs are that posted for 1-2 exp but in the interviews, i get the feeling they rather not have a fresh grad.

the problem now, is the interviews and even job postings have decreased lots recently.

not like i'm looking for my "dream job" (whatever that may be) right now, i'm just looking for an entry level to get some experience now.

Quote Originally Posted by viclo:
    Agreed with Jimbo.
    In fact, certain industries here are shrinking. You have to know what you are good at and which business you want to do. Set a target, and go for it.
    Good Luck !
    yeah, industries are shrinking. i think there is a healthy quantity of jobs but maybe quality of jobs is shifting down.
    Last edited by bargnonions; 19-03-2008 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bargnonions:
    been looking for a job for a few months now. fresh grad, can't read/write chinese. not too sure what industry i want to do but i've been applying to general jobs to gain experience.
    Do you need your employer to sponsor you for a work visa? That can make a lot of difference, and there's a good chance that a fresh grad without proven commercial experience would be rejected by the government, particularly if you don't even have a specific qualification in your area of employment.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    Do you need your employer to sponsor you for a work visa? That can make a lot of difference, and there's a good chance that a fresh grad without proven commercial experience would be rejected by the government, particularly if you don't even have a specific qualification in your area of employment.

No, I got HKID. I can speak Canto too but read/write is no go.