Like Tree21Likes

I think I'm being abused by my employer

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

i like to go back to Uganda every weekend. Maybe i should work only on wednesday.

Hi all. Thanks for the comments. To those who says they travel on the weekends like my situation, are you also unable to claim any sort for hours back?

We are OK with theae traveling arrangements as long as there are some type of compensation. At the current rate, we only get 15 hours of HK time a week (that includes sleep). We travel back to HK because we have families and it is our home.

We're probably going to write a polite anonymouse suggestion letter to HR and remind them that this is border line illegal and suggest allowing us to claim some hours back. Even just the flight hours is better than nothing.

To add, I've travelled frequently with work throughout my career (I actually started out as an auditor with one of the big firms) and have never worked for a company where you are compensated for travel time. Travelling in non-working hours is usually considered as a sign of your commitment to the job.

Personally, I think writing an anonymous letter is a poor idea. Too timid and too weak. And suggesting that the company is doing something illegal is hardly going to win over HR. I don't understand why you don't have an open discussion with your management. Be reasonable and be prepared to offer some feasible alternatives (such as finishing earlier on a Fri so you can fly back that evening).

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Personally, I think writing an anonymous letter is a poor idea. Too timid and too weak. And suggesting that the company is doing something illegal is hardly going to win over HR. I don't understand why you don't have an open discussion with your management. Be reasonable and be prepared to offer some feasible alternatives (such as finishing earlier on a Fri so you can fly back that evening).
    +1! Childish idea also - does the OP think the company does not know that they were travelling over weekend and were not happy? OP: wake up and face the music (=adult life). Or quit your high paying job and go to work for the government 9 to 5 job with no travel and no prospects for the career development

And yes, why don't you just stay over in China for the weekend? grow up.

BTW as a former auditor myself, I like when people use strong words to their direct meaning, and not misuse them

So, according to the Google dic, 'to abuse' means "Use (something) to bad effect or for a bad purpose; misuse."

I think you are abusing the 'abuse' word

Quote Originally Posted by UFG:
    We are OK with theae traveling arrangements as long as there are some type of compensation. At the current rate, we only get 15 hours of HK time a week (that includes sleep). We travel back to HK because we have families and it is our home.
    Are you managers and supervisors also required to travel on weekends? or they are allowed to come back on Friday? (those who do not have other clients waiting elsewhere).

To be honest, nothing in the OP's post sounds that odd, nor limited to HK. I certainly worked those hours as a junior and so do our staff much of the time. They consider they get good experience working hard and have never complained - I have even tried to send them home from time to time with not much luck.

Obviously, if you are not relatively junior and hate your job, that's another matter entirely. But it's not that unusual.

To me it sounds the issue is the regularity with which this happens.

I have done my fair share of overtime, night work, weekends and public holidays but those should be the exception, not the rule, in particular if there is no compensation being offered.

TheBrit likes this.

Its the HK work culture thats to blame really.

Like right now, my GF works at place where she normally finishes at 7pm (more like 7:30pm by the time everything is sorted out). Tonight, because its the few days leading up to Mothers Day, just still current at work (11:10pm). Most likely it will be the same tomorrow night as well. She doesn't get any OT. She doesn't complain though as for 350 days of the year, she answers about 5-7 phone inquiries a day and thats it.

To clarify some bits:

1) We are having a project with stock taking (which is a task even elementary children can do)

2) We are OK if this happens occasionally. But because of a deal our company secured, we will be doing this many weeks in a row.

3) We don't live in China because we are a HK auditing company. Normally we don't encounter the situation I described but this specific project will in the upcoming months.

4) I chose the word abuse because on average with this specific project, we are receiving less than 15 hours a week of 'rest' time, which includes sleep in HK.

Of course if you believe waiting at the airport for 2 hours, and sitting on a plane for 2 hours, traveling from SZ airport back to HK island for 2 hours is 'rest', then I am wasting my time posting here.

5) We are especially sensitive because next Friday is a Chinese holiday, and Sunday is Mothers day. We are not receiving any compensations for missing both those 2 public holidays besides sleeping in the hotel and watching TV. This is reasonable to you?

Again, I must stress that we do not learn anything from this specific project because it is strictly stock taking. If it's a listing project or IC then sure at least it's a learning experience.

Last edited by UFG; 10-05-2013 at 11:18 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast