Like Tree20Likes

Expat who complained about air pollution: They are the ones who don't cut it.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    I was fired before (in my first job after college). I have no problem admiting that. Was I happy and proud about that? No, of course not. But shit happens. You move on. You deal with it. It helped me move to a career which better suit my skill set.
    The other part of it is, they don't tell the truth until later when they were hired again. I'm just saying, even if someone can see through those excuses, isn't it normal to just cut them some slack?

SCMP is rubbing it in.

What's the point in doing that?
    Watercooler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    The other part of it is, they don't tell the truth until later when they were hired again. I'm just saying, even if someone can see through those excuses, isn't it normal to just cut them some slack?

SCMP is rubbing it in.

Probably because the columnist has a grudge against expats . Maybe he got passed over for promotion, and the one who got promoted was an expat. Maybe he was fired by a boss who was an expat. Maybe he has an inferority complex with expats. Who knows? Hehehe.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 13-05-2013 at 02:48 PM.
    Titus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    The expats you knew who left, are you sure they are telling you the whole truth? Kidding, I have no doubt what you say is true in your case, but is that only for your particular industry? Could it be other industries would be far more competitive in Beijing and hence certain other expats might find they got more than they bargained for?
    which industries in Beijing are highly competitive for expats? That is, more competitive than the same industry in the expat's home country?
    climber07 likes this.

Maybe the business editor at SCMP should talk to the Environment editor sometime...

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/artic...es-out-beijing

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:

SCMP is rubbing it in.

Or I think (just trying to put myself in another's shoe here) it could be because, and I assume he's a local, he's sick and tired of expats coming to his turf, make some dough (maybe more dough than he makes?), then say *@(# about the country he lives in and then hop on a plane and go home?

Seriously, sometimes it can get frustrating if you imagine yourself growing up in a country and then visitors come, they make money, then they say how bad your country is on a problem that, globally all countries have to a certain degree (dolphins choked to death from pollution in rivers in NYC in present day; massive oil spills can still happen anywhere around the world), and then they go home. The only retort the local person would have is to fire back in the angle that this writer has I guess.

Mind you I am NOT saying that his view is correct but "just sayin'" ya know...

Better than burning crosses or levying a Chinese, I mean Caucasian head tax I guess

Quote Originally Posted by shenwen:
    which industries in Beijing are highly competitive for expats? That is, more competitive than the same industry in the expat's home country?
    I would like to know that too. Maybe this columnist might know .

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    That isn't a problem with the latest generation of passenger jets that are equipped with an EVS camera + ( HUD ) ie synthetic vision/terrain via ESV-PFD (Synthetic Vision Primary Flight Display ) and EGPWS (Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning System ).

Delays are usually caused by China's military as they share the same ( milspec length ) runways with commercial traffic.
    That's all very interesting... But the point is that pollution can be soooo bad that planes can't fly in and out due to visibility...that is insane, and certainly a very good reason to move you and your family away.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    That's all very interesting... But the point is that pollution can be soooo bad that planes can't fly in and out due to visibility...that is insane, and certainly a very good reason to move you and your family away.
    Quite true, you will have often get an announcement that because of "weather", the flight is delayed. But is it really due to "weather" or air pollution? Sometimes it's because certain government official wants to get the VIP treatment so will shut off the airspace to reserve it just for him.