Career Switch

Career Switch

Hi,

I am an MBA(Systems) and have been working in IT field (QA/Testing) all my working life ie 7 yrs.
    It's a good life and I have no complaints.
    But, now I am getting a feeling that I should change gears and switch to IT sales/Mktng.
    Could some one let me know whether this is possible after 7 yrs of working in front of pc. If yes, then what I need to do? And is there any such requirement in the market today?

Thanks in advance.

Later

G

Key Skills: communications, application of numbers, IT, problem solving, and improving your own learning and performance.

Sales & Marketing skills: customer service, selling, negotiating and influencing, analysis and decision-making and management skills.

Areas of knowledge: the business environment, product knowledge and financial awareness.

Personal skills: drive and energy, adaptability, resilience and determination, confidence, creativity and an ability to learn and absorb knowledge.

The recruiting in sales and marketing roles depends upon the level and type of appointment. A person's product and service knowledge is one reason given for recruiting from within the industry/sector. Those from outside the industry/sector are made at all levels, but cross-industry/sector movement is seemingly limited.

Qualifications, personality, work experience and track record, all play an important role in being selected for a position. The relative importance of each depends on the level and nature of the job being entered.

Suggestion: Alter your resume/CV, cover letter to demonstrate that you have the skills and knowledge necessary to be successful in an IT sales and marketing role. Once this is done circulate your resume/CV to the appropriate headhunters and even apply for some posted positions then if if you get called for an interview go. Advise do not leave your current position until you have secured a new position with an offer in writing and a signed contract.

Last edited by Alby; 12-04-2008 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks a lot Alby for such detailed answer. I really appreciate this.

Later

G