Management Trainee - glorified intern that sells schemes on commission?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kiwi_rice

Management Trainee - glorified intern that sells schemes on commission?

Hello,

I'm keep seeing ads advertising for the position of management trainee from insurance and banking companies. Such as this. I heard various stories about this kind of position; a friend described it as "glorified interns that sell insurance schemes on commission". Is she right?

Yep .. cold calling and selling to friends.

Kiwi_rice
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Yep .. cold calling and selling to friends.
    That's what I thought - 10k salary plus 2k on commission - it sound too good to be true considering they are taking in anyone with a pulse. I assume their turn-over is very* high considering they are posting ads every day. What about the same position from airline companies?

Yes a lot of those schemes are just as your friend described.

In Hong Kong there is a big market for various investment and insurance plans offered by the likes of AXA, AIA, etc

There are many people that work directly for these companies selling the plans on commission.

There are also many "wealth management", "asset management", "financial planners" people who work "independently" but still advise people to sign up for said plans and take a commission every time one their clients does.

The link you posted just looks like an estate agent.

Airlines? Cathay Pacific for example has a very very respectable Management Trainee program. i think it used to be a Swire run program - not sure how they run it these days.

http://www.swire.com/mt/en/

Kiwi_rice

I posted this particular one because it's littered with spelling mistakes.
    So the ad is posted under the parent company name but in reality these "trainee" position is for XYZ company as an independent company? How is that legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_rice:
    That's what I thought - 10k salary plus 2k on commission - it sound too good to be true considering they are taking in anyone with a pulse. I assume their turn-over is very* high considering they are posting ads every day. What about the same position from airline companies?
    Obviously not everything with the words 'management trainee' in it is a commission based sales job. You just need to check the job description carefully.

What type of job are you looking for?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Airlines? Cathay Pacific for example has a very very respectable Management Trainee program. i think it used to be a Swire run program - not sure how they run it these days.

http://www.swire.com/mt/en/
    I know someone who joined the CX Management Programme straight from uni (in Hong Kong). Competition to be accepted is stiff. He's had a terrific time. Last time I heard he was posted to California for overseas experience.

Kiwi_rice

Thanks for the heads-up regarding Swire's program.

I've a post-graduate geography degree and was confused when people with gmail accounts start email bomb me, saying they are from "AXA" and such and such company with high salary. Some of them are quite rude and unhelpful when I asked what is* the job description.

I'm looking for GIS technical positions and so far its quite a stretch for local companies to think me as a GIS guy.

Browsing various jobs sites, those "management trainee" comes up often - most emphasis on salary and not on job description - a tell-tale sign of a scam.

GIS guy?

Talked to these people? http://www.esrichina-hk.com/index.aspx

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast