• 2 Post By Matt_NT
  • 3 Post By Matt_NT
  • 1 Post By wtbhotia
  • 1 Post By Fiona in HKG

Working at VTC

Closed Thread

Working at VTC

Good afternoon all,

Recently got offered a teaching position at the VTC. The role will be teaching vocational English to the students.

As I am still unsure about working for VTC I am asking people to share experiences that they have had working for the education provider (good or bad).

My local teacher colleagues are giving me bad feedback but not sure if that is because VTC is seen as a lower level education for those who failed to get into university.

Thanks

"Failed to get into university". I see it more as a very valuable addition to options for kids when they leave school...where they teach a trade! Long live vocational training I say. I've seen only good people come out of VTC, personally, in the hospitality industry.

Not everyone meets the entry requirements/can afford university. And some school leavers are better suited to a vocational environment.

I say lucky you being given the opportunity to work with those school leavers

I'm with Fiona on the need for good vocational training and many in the hotels here come from that school but it is not top tier for sure.

It is definitely perceived as 'failed to get into university' but I heard a VTC presentation at CanCham and know several of their members went and spoke to the students - the feedback was good.

It might be a challenging environment that you are being warned about as their English skills might not be as good to start. Not sure.

Claire ex-ax and Fiona in HKG like this.

Just out of curiosity, Matt, how did you get the offer, did they advertise or was it through networking? Interested as my hubby is currently on the NET market looking around.

Last edited by Fiona in HKG; 03-07-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: typo!

Hey I'm with you guys. I've some many vocational courses and find them very useful. I applied because ive taught vocationally before. The views are largely local which is why I thought I'd widen the opinion pool.

Fiona it was a bit of both. Met a guy who worked them. He told me they recruit early (Oct/Nov). I kept an eye of their website and applied. Here I am.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using GeoClicks Mobile

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    I'm with Fiona on the need for good vocational training and many in the hotels here come from that school but it is not top tier for sure.

It is definitely perceived as 'failed to get into university' but I heard a VTC presentation at CanCham and know several of their members went and spoke to the students - the feedback was good.

It might be a challenging environment that you are being warned about as their English skills might not be as good to start. Not sure.
    I was warned at interview that the English skills are low and that they are 'active' students. Like you say this is a challenge :-)

For me, I'd like to hear what it is like working for VTC. Obviously I have had the stereotypical view but I've only spoken to one guy who had just started. However, I must admit the overall impression so far is a good one. The recruitment being the most smooth in HK.
    Fiona in HKG and Football16 like this.

It seems that I am going with the VTC role for a mixture of reasons but the main reason is the professionalism that has been displayed from the offset by the training council.

Not really sure what to expect but they do give new staff a 10 day introduction period which should address any apprehension.

Keep us posted. Good luck.

Good luck on your new adventures Matt. I'm all for VTC as well, at least they get to learn skills that are useful in real life where as you have a lot of Local University Morons holding degrees and then findings jobs that is totally not related with their degree and getting paid around 10K a month WTF.

Matt_NT likes this.

Good luck Matt. I'm sure it will be a great experience for everyone!

Matt_NT likes this.