Looking for work in HK (english only)?

Closed Thread

Looking for work in HK (english only)?

Hi there.

I am going to be moving to Hong Kong (from Canada) in about 6 months with my husband. I would like to find out if it will be difficult for me to get a job in Hong Kong. I don't speak any Cantonese at all, only English. I am currently in advertising sales for a National magazine in Canada. Been in sales for over 8 years but am looking for a bit of a change in career. I am very interested in Event Planning. Is it a longshot for me to try and get a job in that field? If so, are there any other job ideas that you can share that may be a bit easier for me to get into. Except for TEFL, not too interested in being a teacher.

Your suggestions and words of advice are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    K

There are severalnon Cantonese speakers working in Hong Kong in non teacher professions. I recommend if you see a job and you are interested in it apply for it, even if it states Cantonese speaker, writing, etc. as you never know what type of response the job posting has had.

When in an interview situation and the potential employers points out / brings up the non Cantonese aspect --- this where you need to highlight your strengths and capabilities as well as any possible strategies you have for working in a multi-cultural multi language environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Alby:
    When in an interview situation and the potential employers points out / brings up the non Cantonese aspect --- this where you need to highlight your strengths and capabilities as well as any possible strategies you have for working in a multi-cultural multi language environment.
    Or even better, For the next six months learn Cantonese and at least get the basics in and that will of course help you get around HK easier and make you that little bit more marketable jobwise.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Or even better, For the next six months learn Cantonese and at least get the basics in and that will of course help you get around HK easier and make you that little bit more marketable jobwise.
    fair enough

work at international schools

they have more benefits than locals....