IT recruiters

Closed Thread

IT recruiters

Hi all,

I've read the threads complaining about recruiters and don't what to start a new one. My question is how to work with them to get the best results. I've met with a couple here in HK so far and I've got a distinct impression that they either didn't read my resume or didn't understand most of it. My background is pretty hands on development and my previous employer is a small company in Canada. Without the name recognition of a big MNC on the resume, how should I sell myself in front of a "non tech" person ? I guess I would have the same problem with HR. Any comments is greatly appreciated.

With the recruiters you need to be honest and tell them exactly what type of role you're looking for and where you want to be heading, They're not mind readers and don't want to be wasting their and your time.

Without the big MNC experience you will need to prove that you are adaptable and are able to hit the ground running and able to adapt to the structure and politics a large MNC provides, This you will definately need to work on to persuade HR types to give you a chance as there is a big big difference from being a big fish in a small pond etc.

If they didn't understand your c.v then simplify it as not all recruiters and HR people are Techies

IT Headhunter

I am an IT Headhunter in Hong Kong speacilizing in Banking Technology, I realize that this post has been a little while, however if you are still looking then drop me a line.

Who do you work for as I have had negative experiences with a couple of "employment" agencies?

I am sure it is not the ones you had negative experiences with.

Jimbo offers some good advice and contact the poster from the IT recruitment company.

Try and get a face to face as that works better than the resume in their hands. Also, when there get their reaction to what you have presented them and how you come across to them.

They are usually working on jobs to fill and if your resume isn't targeted to one of them, it will likely not get much attention.

Last edited by Football16; 10-10-2008 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by benfox:
    I am an IT Headhunter in Hong Kong speacilizing in Banking Technology, I realize that this post has been a little while, however if you are still looking then drop me a line.
    Hello Benfox,
    I have sent you a PM regarding the above post.
    Regards,
    Sam
    Last edited by samidhasengupta; 23-06-2009 at 02:15 PM.

Do you think its necessary to go through a recruiter? I have found that going straight to the company works well. Especially since IT is so broad