Application working visa

Closed Thread

Application working visa

Dear all,

I found a new job, however need to arrange the working visa. I already downloaded the necessary documents which need to be filled in and have a list of other documentation that they require like degree, BR, things like that.

Once you send in all this documentation, within a couple of days you'll receive a number (application/processing number). You are allowed to work from that moment on, however I need to proof this to my employer since they need someone to start next week.

Does anyone know where I can find more information regarding this? I already tried to call and send emails to the immd.gov however I am affraid this will take some time, and that is exactly the thing I don't have.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy1107:
    Once you send in all this documentation, within a couple of days you'll receive a number (application/processing number). You are allowed to work from that moment on,
    I've no idea where you got this from, but it is wrong. You can only work once the visa has been granted and activated (which means re-entering HK if you have applied from outside HK).

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I've no idea where you got this from, but it is wrong. You can only work once the visa has been granted and activated (which means re-entering HK if you have applied from outside HK).
    Yup and you're usually looking at 4-6 weeks for the application to be processed and theres no way you should work till its been officially authorised and validated by immigration.

You and your employer risk a fine and or prison sentence for you working illegally without one.

Dear all,

I already downloaded the necessary documents which need to be filled in and have a list of other documentation that they require like degree, BR, things like that.
    Timothy, since you are applying for the work visa yourself the I assume that this is for a small company? If this is the case then you will need a lot more then what they ask for in the application. They will most likely ask for the company's tax returns, a list of all staff and which are local, and why the company needs to hire you, etc... You have to stress the company for these documents otherwise it will take a lot longer than the 4-6 weeks!
    Last edited by chimo; 16-05-2008 at 03:11 PM. Reason: opps i called you Timmy

Quote Originally Posted by chimo:
    Timothy, since you are applying for the work visa yourself the I assume that this is for a small company? If this is the case then you will need a lot more then what they ask for in the application. They will most likely ask for the company's tax returns, a list of all staff and which are local, and why the company needs to hire you, etc... You have to stress the company for these documents otherwise it will take a lot longer than the 4-6 weeks!
    True. I need more documents, however the company will apply since I can not do this myself. But they lack the experience.

-an application form ID(E) 936, with relevant parts duly completed and signed;
    -a copy of the sponsor's Business Registration Certificate,
    -Certificate of Incorporation and/or Memorandum of Incorporation and Articles of Association;
    financial standing of the sponsor/sponsor's company (income tax return, trading profit and loss account, profit tax return);
    -company staff list with salary offered and position held and list of expatriate staff previously or currently recruited from overseas;
    -a copy of the applicant's service contract or letter of appointment with details of post, salaries and benefits;
    -full description of the applicant's post;
    details, with proofs, of applicant's academic qualifications and experience relevant to the post, e.g. copies of diplomas, certificates and testimonials;
    -a letter, with supporting proof from the employer (if possible), stating the reason why the post cannot be filled locally;
    -if the applicant is to replace someone already working in Hong Kong, the personal particulars and his whereabouts (if known) should be given;
    -if the applicant is to fill a new post, explain why his/her services are essential; and
    evidence of the applicant's past residence in Hong Kong (if any).

Regarding the topic if you can start working even if the visa is still being processed I was hoping to find out, because many companies work this way. And they actually request the immd.gov to the nukmber to them by fax.

reg.
    timmy

Regarding the topic if you can start working even if the visa is still being processed I was hoping to find out, because many companies work this way. And they actually request the immd.gov to the nukmber to them by fax.

reg.
    timmy

I doubt many reputable companies would work this way though, They request the details so they know its been submitted and is being processed thats all and can chase up the status on a regular basis.

I beg to differ.

While it is entirely against the law, I don't think it's uncommon for companies to allow people to work early, after they've applied for their visas. Sometimes, they'll make some pretense, like saying the new employee is on a training program and is being given a stipend/expenses rather than pay, or that they are being sent from a remote office elsewhere - but sometimes they just do it off the books.

I'm not saying I have any personal experience of this, of course...

The fact is that people like Pldm can say it's wrong, but that is exactly what I want, sources... So without them, it's just a word against a word, and when I see worlds biggest financial companies doing it like this I still don't know for sure....

However, in my case, it seems that there are other ways to handdle this with a good ending, if any sources please advice me....

thanks best regards.

Tim