JOB's is there any hope for me?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

JOB's is there any hope for me?

Hi i am an Australian I am moving to Hong Kong i am looking for a better life and a bit of a change i was wondering if any one could give me advice if i have a hope in hell getting a job with my skills as i did not do university i have my resume on here have a look and please let me know what you guys think and also iam not looking for heaps of money all i want to be able to do is live in hong kong and i understand about working visa and all that thanks heaps guys and please if you have any work going please let me know i dont care even if it is at the local market thanks

Education
    Year 10 Full High School certificate
    RSA (responsible service of alcohol)

Awards
    Top 3% NSW IT
    Top 5% NSW History

Work Experience
    Bulhadelah Gifts and Video Hire
    Manger

P.O.S
    Cash handling
    Stock taking
    Stock Ordering
    Banking
    Till operations
    Customer service
    Customer relations

BTC Retravision
    Sales/logistics officer

P.O.S
    Cash handling
    Stock takes
    Stock ordering
    Ware house distributions
    Admin work
    Product placement

Primo Scone
    Dispatch Worker

OHS
    Team Organizer (Chinese Workers)
    Dispatch pallet operations
    Carton distributions
    VISY single lid operator

References
    Steve Pagratis (ABS Sydney)
    Kevin Seeley (Blue Bay Solutions)

Languages
    English

Accreditation
    RSA

Interests and Activities
    Travel
    International Trade
    Motor Bike riding
    Fishing

Computer Skills
    MS Office 2000 - 2007
    Trouble shooting
    Soft ware installation
    Hard wear configuration

If you are young enough to have a Working Holiday Visa then you should be able to get a job in a bar or something like that.

But I doubt you'll find anything if you need to be sponsored for an Employment Visa.

(If that's a copy & paste from your CV you might want to put it through a spell checker before you send it out!)

thanks

thanks mate but yeah thats not my CV thats just a bit i wrote there and thanks for the info do u know if you can be in HK and then apply for a working holiday visa?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesGTZ
    thanks mate but yeah thats not my CV thats just a bit i wrote there and thanks for the info do u know if you can be in HK and then apply for a working holiday visa?
    Information on the Working Holiday Scheme is here: Working Holiday Scheme

And it appears you can apply while in HK.

Sorry to be negative, but you mind find it difficult findinga job at the level you are targetting.

Factors in HK such as no minimum wage and perhaps more significantly, the practice of people living at home (ie with their parents) often well into their 30's has the effect of driving wages down in sectors that would pay a half decent wage in western countries.

The result for you would mean that you may struggle to break into this sector as local staff are prepared to work for wages that you would struggle to get by on having to pay rent etc etc

It's gonna be hard finding a job here that will sponsor your working visa, if you haven't got a uni degree. Then you need to be very skilled in some field. And that you know best yourself.

What will happen is that you will be competing locals in search of a job, and they are still living with their family and therefore accept poor salaries.

But a change once in a while is good, however is Hong Kong a must or could you consider other alternatives? You just want any job, enough to pay the bills or....?

I don't want to demotivate you, but it can be difficult here.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielandHayley
    Sorry to be negative, but you mind find it difficult findinga job at the level you are targetting.

Factors in HK such as no minimum wage and perhaps more significantly, the practice of people living at home (ie with their parents) often well into their 30's has the effect of driving wages down in sectors that would pay a half decent wage in western countries...
    Being off-topic, but that IS a relevant observation.

Wondered a bit 'bout this particular phenomenon of quite some here wanting to stick around mum & dad's... when MOST in the West can't wait to get OUT first chance they get once (barely!) earning enuff bucks.

One colleague-HKer is more "senior" than me, and not paid too poorly either, BUT he hasn't much clue 'bout the price of basics, like supermarket stuff: toothpaste or toilet paper, the (rising) cost of fresh pork/beef, and the (slightly lowering, yeh!) cost of alc. beverages, etc, plus little know-hows about this buzzing town.

Things gradually began to make sense... seems he returns to home-cooked meals with the ole folks. If he's back late coz of long hrs, his fav dishes are kept waiting for him. Mum even packs his lil' lunchbox every other day. Yeah... cosy. But JEEZ, are there many more gals & boys like that around! who haven't much interest nor inclination to "hang out", try new plcs, and have some semblance of a life AFTER work...

Oops... now back to the original topic: Yeah, near entry-level pay for the kinda jobs you're hoping for here can be relatively LOW, so as already said, paying rent (+ utilities) may be not be easy. BUT if you're mostly a glass-half-FULL, sociable person, don't mind the hard work and are reasonably quick to adapt to unfamiliar environments, go try for that holiday work visa. Wish you luck.

Quote Originally Posted by emmie
    Being off-topic, but that IS a relevant observation.

Wondered a bit 'bout this particular phenomenon of quite some here wanting to stick around mum & dad's... when MOST in the West can't wait to get OUT first chance they get once (barely!) earning enuff bucks.

One colleague-HKer is more "senior" than me, and not paid too poorly either, BUT he hasn't much clue 'bout the price of basics, like supermarket stuff: toothpaste or toilet paper, the (rising) cost of fresh pork/beef, and the (slightly lowering, yeh!) cost of alc. beverages, etc, plus little know-hows about this buzzing town.

Things gradually began to make sense... seems he returns to home-cooked meals with the ole folks. If he's back late coz of long hrs, his fav dishes are kept waiting for him. Mum even packs his lil' lunchbox every other day. Yeah... cosy. But JEEZ, are there many more gals & boys like that around! who haven't much interest nor inclination to "hang out", try new plcs, and have some semblance of a life AFTER work...

Oops... now back to the original topic: Yeah, near entry-level pay for the kinda jobs you're hoping for here can be relatively LOW, so as already said, paying rent (+ utilities) may be not be easy. BUT if you're mostly a glass-half-FULL, sociable person, don't mind the hard work and are reasonably quick to adapt to unfamiliar environments, go try for that holiday work visa. Wish you luck.
    I am not a local and I am sure they could give a much more accurate response but I would think it comes down to 2 factors:

- the very high cost of accomodation here putting it out of the reach of most, so creating the norm where you stay at home even if you could just afford to move out
    - a culture that is much more family-orientated than the individualistic west so staying with the family is not seen as a bad thing.
    Last edited by hullexile; 19-05-2008 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    I am not a local and I am sure they could give a much more accurate response but I would think it comes down to 2 factors:

- the very high cost of accomodation here putting it out of the reach of most, so creating the norm where you stay at home even if you could just afford to move out
    - a culture that is much more family-orientated than the individualistic west so staying with the family is not seen as a bad thing.
    FAIR comment - and sorta figured out those reasons a long time ago... but the colleague's around middle-30s, and frequently "curious" with queries about "life in zee West"; ESPECIALLY 'bout dating & the like (apparently, a touch inconvenient to let it all "hang" at home, thus cosy, dim-lit karaokes, etc!?).

BTW, agree nothing "strange" about wanting to be very close to family.

It is something of a chicken and egg situation with the cost of living preventing, or discouraging, people from moving out, but at the same time this very way of life goes a long way towards allowing employers to pay relatively poor wages. It goes a lot deeper than soley this point, and long debates an opinions could be given regarding other factors such as the [lack] of a welfare state, no mimimum wage etc etc

However, for a want-to-b expat looking to come to Hong Kong to try and compete in this 'sector' or employment it will be very tough. I would suggest that most counter staff in your average high street bank in the UK can afford to live 'away from home' (not with parents), however I would suspect that a large percentage of people in equivalent roles here in HK would not.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast