Resume critique / job hunt advice

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

TBJ: good luck in your job search and certainly understand your frustration.

however, getting into i-banks, hedge funds and P/E are all about connections and networks and your background. badmouthing those folks wont help your chance neither.

my buddies in finance industry in NYC are losing their jobs and some possibly have to relocate to Asia to leave family behind.

it's no easy path to finance industry.

Quote Originally Posted by TBJ:
    The only reason someone wouldn't be so enthusiastic to employ me is that I'm not a jackass like 95% of the people in your industry.

Most of the headcount is being cut in the US, not in Asia. Banks are still expanding here. Also, I hear most of the positions being cut are on the senior level.

Aside from that, I have many qualities which make me desirable in this industry. It's not like I don't have any experience in the finance sector. I have been trading options and stocks with great success for the last 5 years. Last year I had a 67% return on my trading portfolio. Maybe I should just create my own hedge fund?

I rest my case. Another case of assholism among the IB community.

You think I have no people skills because I call your industry ripe with jackasses? I'm merely stating the facts.

You don't know me personally so don't start criticizing me on a personal level.
    As everyone knows I am NOT in IB I don't get your point.

On your point three your remarks before and your " everyones an arse and I am brilliant so I can get every job I go for " will get you spotted in every interview or at best be weeded out in your first few months in any firm.

Which begs the question - If your so good, why are you playing with yourself at home.

Also - in my long long experience of sorting out dickheads from eggheads I always find it more than true the " still waters run deep " and you seem more of a Niagara Falls sort of guy by all the froth you have written so far.

You think I have no people skills because I call your industry ripe with jackasses? I'm merely stating the facts.
    You don't bite the hand that potentially feeds you though, If you have no respect for the people in the industry you wish to work for then look elsewhere.

well, since you are not convinced. go find it and not rant here.
    since u think IB are full of jackasses, then don't work in one.

since u think GS is that great, go find a job there and convince them why they want to employ u.

unfortunately you just do not know what's the market like, and since u are not even humble about it, guess u just cut out the people that cld have potentially helped u from the site...

Quote Originally Posted by whong:
    TBJ: good luck in your job search and certainly understand your frustration.

however, getting into i-banks, hedge funds and P/E are all about connections and networks and your background. badmouthing those folks wont help your chance neither.

my buddies in finance industry in NYC are losing their jobs and some possibly have to relocate to Asia to leave family behind.

it's no easy path to finance industry.
    actually there are. go get a phd in fluid dynamics and you will see IBs and hedge funds keen to employ you with their quant team.

unfortunately that's not the difficult path most of these MBAs and biz grads wld take. so that cuts them out the easiest way to get into an IB.

i haven't seen a trader that's out of biz school... unless they are engg trained originally. still, most are taken from the technical sectors these days.
    Last edited by freeier; 10-06-2008 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    As everyone knows I am NOT in IB I don't get your point.
    I didn't even read your post as your not even worth my time.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    You don't bite the hand that potentially feeds you though, If you have no respect for the people in the industry you wish to work for then look elsewhere.
    I know... I guess my image of the industry gets tainted the more I know about it.

I am considering other careers prospects. I have a solid background in technical consulting so I might just continue down that path.

Thanks for your advice jimbo, you and rebaka had the only helpful replies.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    unfortunately you just do not know what's the market like, and since u are not even humble about it, guess u just cut out the people that cld have potentially helped u from the site...
    I know that help is not going to come from you, seeing your replies from past similar threads. I know help from people in the industry is not going to come from a message board either.
    Last edited by TBJ; 11-06-2008 at 12:37 PM.

Wow...

TBJ, I wish you luck

I hope that you wish you could start this thread all over again.

Networking is the answer in Hong Kong, because many expats here will go out of there way to help you, as they can relate to the position you are in.

Recruitment is a drag for everyone involved, so getting an endorsement from anyone helps recruiters get to a shortlist quicker.

I disagree that help would not come from a discussion board, however I suspect not this one now..