Private practice lawyer, PQE 4 yrs - salary?

Closed Thread

Private practice lawyer, PQE 4 yrs - salary?

Hi,

I am a lawyer of PQE 4 yrs (main fields of experience: M&A, corporate/commercial, disputes, real estate/construction, tax), relocating to HK in the fall. I am sending out applications at this time.

I am having a hard time finding out what the level of remuneration is for such a position. Can anyone please provide any info on that? Any help welcome!

Also, is there a website dedicated to such information regarding Hong Kong legal jobs - something like Roll On Friday for HK?

Best regards,
    Tobias

4 year PQE, expect about HK$60K per month.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Steinoe:
    Hi,

I am a lawyer of PQE 4 yrs (main fields of experience: M&A, corporate/commercial, disputes, real estate/construction, tax), relocating to HK in the fall. I am sending out applications at this time.

I am having a hard time finding out what the level of remuneration is for such a position. Can anyone please provide any info on that? Any help welcome!

Also, is there a website dedicated to such information regarding Hong Kong legal jobs - something like Roll On Friday for HK?

Best regards,
    Tobias

Legal 500 has some basic info on the big firms in Asia.

Are you using a legal recruiter or just sending apps out? For legal positions in Asia, you should talk to recruiters if you haven't yet. (I am not a recruiter.) They will be able to help you target firms that you have a better shot at securing interviews with and will be able to answer all your questions about pay. There isn't much flexibility with base pay at the international firms here (its set for class years and for British firms is roughly the same as London and for US firms, roughly NY pay scale, plus expat package, which can be more flexible depending on how bad they want you, if you have kids, etc.) although it does vary from firm to firm a little.

Also, your practice areas seem quite diverse and I would try to narrow your focus a bit. If I were interviewing you and saw that many different practice areas I would have a lot of questions. Firms (at least the international ones) here tend to hire based on particular practice group needs and while it is good to have broad exposure to different areas, a mid level associate should have a particular practice.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsegal:
    4 year PQE, expect about HK$60K per month.
    I would have thought you can get more than that at the bigger firms (eg the magic circle ones) if you are able to secure something at one of those.

Agree with the other poster - best to contact legal recruiters in Hong Kong for more guidance and assistance.
    Last edited by muse07; 22-09-2008 at 12:15 AM.