Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By usehername
  • 1 Post By HK_Katherine

what chances to blacks have in Hongkong

Closed Thread

what chances to blacks have in Hongkong

Hie everyone.
    I am a black African holding a Bachelor”s degree and a teaching diploma. I majored in English in both and English is my native language. I have over ten years of experience teaching in schools. What are the chances of getting a teaching job in Hongkong. I am currently teaching in China

Last edited by sevendwarfs; 03-01-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sevendwarfs:
    Hie everyone.
    I am a black African holding a Bachelor”s degree and a teaching diploma. I majored in English in both and English is my native language. I have over ten years of experience teaching in schools. What are the chances of getting a teaching job in Hongkong. I am currently teaching in China
    Apply to the NET scheme as you have good qualifications. Suggest not appending a photograph (appending a photo is common on CV's here, for no apparently good reason!). Let your qualifications speak for themselves and deal with the (probable) prejudice when you arrive.
    Would not advise trying for one of those establishment that kids do extra learning at - they care much more about appearance than quals. Would also try applying to the international schools, since they have a more international viewpoint.
    I'd say you have a good shot, but you will find prejudice and barriers, but hopefully not insurmountable ones. Best of luck.
    Kfay likes this.

You could also try the british council (for kids) or wall street/ englishtown (for adults).

Kfay likes this.

Thank you very much for both responses. I have already started following up on both suggestions.

HK people generally fear 'black' people...so good luck

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Would not advise trying for one of those establishment that kids do extra learning at - the parents who are naive about what qualifications matter and don't have time to do research...this, in the context of a myriad of different choices of centres, parents tend to make judgements about appearance as that may be the only thing differentiating one centre from another.
    Fixed it for you.

You should also try contacting the international schools. ESF has a big network of schools here and shouldn't be colour prejudiced. You are well qualified, good luck with your job hunting!