Like Tree14Likes

Unfair request from boss

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unfair request from boss

My boss (in a small language centre) has asked me to write reports unpaid. I work part-time and get paid by the hour to teach classes. It says in my contract that paperwork is part of the job - but it doesn't say that it will be unpaid and that I have to do it at home in my own time. Please advise if I can say NO to this request. Thanks

well tell him straight up that u dont work for free. u might loose ur job but u wont get used anymore.

glasgowrules likes this.

It would depend on the contract. For example part-time uni teachers get paid per hour of teaching but they are expected to mark in their own time. This is built into the hourly teaching rate.

Last edited by hullexile; 24-01-2014 at 08:49 PM.
    glasgowrules likes this.

Are you working legally or illegally?

glasgowrules likes this.

Tbh I would consider report writing the same as homework marking- included in the price you get paid to teach the class, not an extra on top.

glasgowrules likes this.

Thanks for the great advice! Tempted to take DeletedUser's suggestion of a Glasgow Kiss - but that won't pay the rent so I will suck it up for now until I find something better where lessons don't cancel at the last minute. (All legal Gruntfuttock).

In a sense of what's fair, it depends upon your hourly rate. If you are getting $250 - 350 per hour, then I would say it isn't fair to do extra work. However, in the alternative, there are some places paying $400 - 500 per hour, which may require a little more outside work and preparation. Typically, I've heard people getting paid extra hours for outside work which can offer some benefits if you do it at home or on public transit in half the time, especially if you already have a base of materials to go off of.

Point being, if your boss can get this from you, soon they will ask for more and more until you flip (not always but rarely is there a benefit to doing extra work). Stand your ground. It really sets a poor expectation for those in the field when teachers will work for just one hour, or have two hours with a huge unpaid break between classes, or do these extra tasks. These acts are not sustainable. Centers are a dime a dozen and easy to find those without any of this outside work.

Not saying to quit, but know where your line is.

I've never heard of anyone being paid extra to write reports for a class they teach.

Don't you just use Word document with 20-30 different comments - some very good, some good, some average, and some of the 'could do better' type. Then cut and paste comments for each student, making sure you get the 'he's' and 'she's' correct. Doesn't take long once you have the initial list of comments, and the finished product looks professional so the boss it happy (pay rise?), parents are happy (they pay for another term?), which means you get to keep your job for minimum of effort.

Titus likes this.

Only you can judge the situation. I spent a year at a language centre who were pretty much crooks trying to squeeze every penny out of everyone from staff to parents and with no consideration for anything but their margin.

I saw the yr out because at the time I didn't want to break a contract on my first work visa, but one thing I did learn is if I didn't put my foot down they took the piss. So if you think they're doing that, say something. If overall you like your job and this is unusual, just write the damn reports head to a nice cafe with your laptop and churn'em out!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using GeoClicks mobile app

usehername and bibbju like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast